LumberJocks

Segmented vase

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Julian updated 05-30-2016 09:18 PM 6 parts 7352 reads 17 comments total

Part 1: Starting with the bottom rings.

05-13-2016 03:21 AM by Julian | 6 comments »

I have done a few segmented projects and decided to do a blog on the latest. This will be a vase made with maple, paduak, and black veneer. This ring is the second from the bottom. This is before the glue up.

Read this entry »


Part 2: Method for making segmented rings

05-15-2016 02:44 AM by Julian | 2 comments »

The first thing I do before cutting any wood is to find a shape that I find appealing. Then I make a full sized drawing on graph paper. I use this to do all the calculations for the each ring. You can purchase software to do this but I prefer the manual method; plus it doesn’t cost any $. I use the “wedgie” sled by Jerry Bennett. You can find his videos on YouTube which explains how to make the sled and how to cut various types of segments.Certain rings with the trian...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Rings sanded and ready for glue up.

05-16-2016 12:21 AM by Julian | 0 comments »

All the rings are finished and now it was time to sand them flat. Due to the large number of rings I used the drum sander. Here are all the rings dry stacked in order. There will also be a lid for this vase. I use a glue block and faceplate as I glue up the rings.

Read this entry »


Part 4: Turning the bottom half

05-20-2016 03:18 AM by Julian | 4 comments »

I am turning this vase in two parts. I don’t have any hollowing tools and even if I did, it seems like it would be very difficult. The bottom half came out reasonably well. I checked the fit of the top half and it looks like I need to add one more ring. That’s all for now.

Read this entry »


Part 5: Finished turning the outside

05-28-2016 04:06 AM by Julian | 3 comments »

It’s been a few days since I worked on this vase. Today I sanded the inside and then glued the two halves together. When the glue set, I finished turning the outside. Still need to turn (enlarge) the hole on the top. This project was turned almost entirely with my 1/2” bowl gouge. I had some trouble using this tool at first, but with practice I now enjoy how it cuts. The figured maple really looks nice.

Read this entry »


Part 6: Finished

05-30-2016 09:18 PM by Julian | 2 comments »

After parting the bottom of the vase I needed to clean up the bottom. Here is the finished project. I’ll post a few pictures under the “projects” section.Thanks for looking.

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com