Underway again...finally #11: Pro Football day - some progress in wood and football

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by JohnTM posted 11-20-2017 12:51 AM 2192 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 10: Re-did the casters... very early end to the day Part 11 of Underway again...finally series Part 12: OMG-I cut the free cabinets! »

Let’s get the “big deal” out of the way first. After a shaky first 3 quarters, we pulled it out in the last couple of minutes. My team now has 8 wins in a row! Geaux Saints! Whew.

With that taken care of, I did a bit of work both before and after the game. Before the game, I worked on strengthening the table saw stand and raising its height to what it should have been yesterday. Nothing major skill-wise. Just the usual “do and re-do” process for me as I futz my way through things – learning what seems like it really should work sometimes doesn’t which requires re-doing something. (I THOUGHT I was pretty good with spatial relationships before now but am learning that it ain’t necessarily so.)

Stand is turned on its side and you’re looking at the bottom. I used the big “cubes” I got off a couple pallets for squaring up and blocking a couple corners – just ‘cuz. Also stuck a couple 1.25” x 1.25”’s under the bottom cross-pieces to raise the stand-platform/tablesaw-top to the correct height.

Spent way too long on this and it was game time.

After the game, I went back out to work on figuring out what I wanted to do with the unaccounted for space in the width of the mobile base. (Cabinet width + tablesaw stand width + unaccounted for space width = mobile base total width [yeah math… um, no.. I hate math….]). Moved things around, got a brain freeze a couple times and finally figured that I would use the space between the saw stand’s side and the left cabinet as a vertical cubby for a yet-to-be-made crosscut sled. So, that’s what I worked on until it got dark – which it did promptly at 5:03PM. Outside & carport lights came on and progress slowed appreciably as they aren’t the greatest.

I spent some time picking and prepping pieces for that cubby only to find some of the pieces were unusable after I’d cut them – things like cupping and twists and other things I should have noticed as I pulled them out of the pile. Finally, between “squaring and jointing” twice as many pieces as I thought I’d need on the tablesaw, I started cutting things to length with the mitre saw. Oh, and the cabinets have already been “used” as you can see… (Actually too high for the mitre saw but it was in the light so it was safe to use there.)

The picture makes things look brighter than I felt they were… and at this point I was tired of “workng” so I decided to “play” by experimenting with my first half-lap joint.

I’d show the result but it was actually kinda embarrassing. I only eyeballed the heights of the two pieces so I cut out way too much in both pieces and was off by about 1/4” after placing them together. But it was a good experience as I learned ”don’t eyeball… measure, then measure again – both with the pieces to be cut and with the saw blade height”. (Sound ike I said that before – “measure twice, cut once”? Told you I was slow… In my case, some lessons apparently need to be learned and re-learned and re-re-learned).

That was my rather tedious day. Snail’s pace progress, but progress nonetheless.

1 comment so far

View robscastle's profile


7317 posts in 3050 days

#1 posted 11-20-2017 05:08 AM

You can use your miter saw to do the cuts as well, just set the depth gauge screw on your saw then after the first two cuts adjust it by half the thickness for a perfect fit.

Lookig good, sure beats being in a sub in the South Pacific Ocean,

-- Regards Rob

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics