Underway again...finally #3: The plan, the plan, then doing other stuff...

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by JohnTM posted 11-01-2017 11:55 PM 2263 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Completing yesterday's Part 3 of Underway again...finally series Part 4: Actual work accomplished...such as it is/was/whatever »

There is a saying something along the lines of: the best made plans of mice and men often go wrong….. Well, I HAD a plan for today. I really did.

It was a good plan. A simple plan. Okay, it was kinda vague. Get to work actually building something. The workbench, yeah, that’s the ticket. Build the workbench. That was the plan.

And therein lay the problem. I needed something more than just a really vague idea about where I wanted to end up. At least a vague idea to start would be good. Something drawn/written to actually cut and build from would be so much better. I hate wasting wood, nails, effort, time. So, I didn’t want to just start cutting mindlessly – though that IS its own end in a weird sort of way.

So, I pulled out pen and paper and jotted something down, then realized measurements might be useful. I knew I wanted to be able to have the following on the surface simultaneously – mitre saw, drill press, a section for an under-the-top router. Basic stuff. Measurements… I mentioned measurements. Well, I didn’t have any. So, I went to get them…

Oh wait. My drill press was still in the box. So was my mitre saw. Needed to assemble them. No big deal but there went an hour. Another hour was spent setting up/aligning the saw as it was “not right” straight out of the box (I don’t think this is just a Harbor Freight tools issue, I’ve heard of other people having to spend a similar amount of time setting up a power tool). So, fiddle with this. Adjust that. What does this adjustment do on the saw? Did I forget to say I spent 15 minutes just installing the blade because I had issues with one of the locking adjustment screws? RTFM, you fool! Well, I did! The drill press was its own series of tweak this, measure, adjust that, dang it the er moved, RTFM you fool!, re-adjust, re-measure, re-adjust…. But I finally got it all done.

Hey, did I mention I remembered to actually get those measurements? Well, I did. I even wrote them on paper (now if I could just find the freakin’ sheet!).

Then my elderly Dad said “lunchtime” and off we went for pizza. Not a bad idea but not “building something”. There went another hour and a half – hey, we eat slowly, very slowly.

Got back to the carport ready to GO FOR IT and immediately got side-tracked with chisels… very dull chisels, very old and possibly unsalvageable chisels. You know the kind – where the metal is covered in dirt, grime, dried oil, other stuff and might just be pitted beyond recognition as tools rather than just hunks of metal slag.

(Aside – my $25 bench grinder needed to be “fixed” a little bit before use. There were a couple loose screws holding the guards that needed to be tightened and a weird, totally unexpected “issue” cropped up. Not just because it’s Halloween season, but I think the grinder is haunted. I turned off the grinder and the wheels continued to spin, and spin, and spin, and… well, you get the idea. I even unplugged it and it continued to spin. If my $3000 bicycle wheels spun on their axles that long I’d saved sooooooo much energy! Seriously, the grinder wheels spun for over 2 minutes after being unplugged… over 2 minutes!)

There went another hour and a half as the light began to fade – here comes a storm, or at least storm clouds.

Time to begin to pick everything up to protect it from the wetness to come. Rather than just throw stuff in the store room and car as I have been doing (yes, the Prius has acted as a temporary storage facility a few times), I began the process of trying to put things in specific locations in a semi-organized fashion, you know, like we all want to do and occasionally succeed at (though it usually only lasts minutes for me before CHAOSs raises its ugly head and destroys my hard-won, often-sought neatness). Believe it or not, I got 99% of my things to fit into drawers and toolboxes rather than having them strewn on the carport and storage room floors.

There went at least another 45 minutes.

And the rain came…

Did you notice that I haven;’t written about actually making something today? Where’d the day go? I had the best of intentions. I really did. That “built workbench” still eludes me though.

As Scarlett O’hara said, “Tomorrow is another day.”

1 comment so far

View EarlS's profile (online now)


3417 posts in 2952 days

#1 posted 11-02-2017 12:19 PM


I can relate, as can most everyone here. It is amazing how many things get in the way of the actual woodworking.

-- Earl "I'm a pessamist - generally that increases the chance that things will turn out better than expected"

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics