Princess Daybed for Daughter #9: Project Complete!

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by JohnMcClure posted 08-11-2018 04:09 PM 1026 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 8: 99% done, now scrap it and start over... help? Part 9 of Princess Daybed for Daughter series no next part

After the last entry, we took some time to weigh our options. We decided to keep the bed for now; if I make a smaller, regular-style bed in the future, we’ll sell this one if possible. My mom is making some bumper cushions to fill in the gap around the mattress.

All we needed were the ball finials, and touchup paint. But the ball finials needed a transition piece – wouldn’t look right screwed into end grain. So I made these:

And realized they looked so good, the ball finial was unnecessary!

I doweled them on to the posts, we finished painting, and the project is complete.

There is not a single piece of metal in the entire thing. Mortise and tenon only, with the permanent ones glued and the knockdown ones pegged.
Construction lumber, MDF, oak dowels, and an oak plank are the only materials used.

Thanks for following!

-- I'd rather be a hammer than a nail

3 comments so far

View JCamp's profile


1208 posts in 1352 days

#1 posted 08-12-2018 01:09 AM

Looks awesome

-- Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might

View BurlyBob's profile


7689 posts in 3067 days

#2 posted 08-12-2018 01:58 AM

That’s totally beautiful. You just made a hit for that young lady. very well done indeed!

View AJ1104's profile


1103 posts in 2460 days

#3 posted 04-27-2019 02:09 AM

John. I just read this build. Tremendous job and thanks for the detailed build! AJ

-- AJ

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics