LumberJocks

House Built-in

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Jimi_C updated 12-24-2009 04:26 PM 5 parts 5861 reads 8 comments total

Part 1: Finally Making Some Progress

11-08-2009 02:15 AM by Jimi_C | 4 comments »

I started planning this about a month ago, including starting to mill the wood. I kind of goofed though, and cut the rails too short, as well as making the bottom rails too narrow (I wasn’t sure if on a face frame you kept that rail the same thickness or not, turns out you do). After that, I got kind of busy with life. As I’ve mentioned before, my wife is in nursing school, and she was accepted to go on a humanitarian trip to Brazil to do volunteer public health work. So, need...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Numero Uno

11-08-2009 06:51 PM by Jimi_C | 1 comment »

First cabinet done (except for the back of course): Again, sorry for the iPhone picture quality. The completed depth without the back on is 10”. So with the back on I should still have plenty of room to shim against the wall for installation, while keeping the cabinet slightly recessed so it doesn’t stick out past the side wall – which would be bad of course, since I never intended the sides to be exposed. I’ll be doing an applied base as well, since I&...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Quick Update

11-09-2009 07:26 AM by Jimi_C | 1 comment »

Good progress today, wish I’d gotten things done a bit quicker but oh well. Got the other cabinet assembled, and started working on the doors – well at least one door. Like I said earlier I only have enough wood milled to do the one, so I got started with that. I ran the boards through my (makeshift) router table, creating a 3/4” deep groove the full length, and then cut the rails and stiles to length. I made a jig to route the tenons for the rails a few weeks ago, and I...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Slow Progress

11-24-2009 04:53 AM by Jimi_C | 0 comments »

Haven’t had a lot of time to work on this the last two weeks unfortunately, but I did make some progress today. I’ve attached the shelf standards (not shown below) in both cabinets, and cut the backs. I won’t attach the backs until the drawers are done, since I’d like to make access to anything I need to put on the interior as easy as possible. Today, I finished priming the first center panel, which is made of MDF, and glued up the first door. The second door fra...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Another Quick Update

12-24-2009 04:26 PM by Jimi_C | 2 comments »

Just a quick update: I built one drawer box and one drawer front so far, unfortunately I ran out of milled stock to do the second, so I’ll have to mill some more (hopefully this weekend) to finish up the second cabinet. This was the first drawer box I’ve done, so I was very happy that it came out just about perfect in width so that the slides attached properly. I goofed the first time mounting it, forgetting that the slide had to be flush with the front of the box, so the drawer...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com