My Workbench

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Jimi_C updated 08-26-2009 03:07 AM 4 parts 7466 reads 20 comments total

Part 1: Day 1 Complete

08-16-2009 10:57 PM by Jimi_C | 8 comments »

I managed to get started today and got a lot done, even with a short break to scramble some eggs for my wife (she’s in nursing school and works damn near full time, so I do most of the cooking). I started out by clearing some room on the MDF sheets I’d laid out last night. I put a few of the 1×4’s I bought under the sheets to keep them off the garage floor. I figured this was the flatest surface I was going to get for now, so I used it. First up, I cut the outside...

Read this entry »

Part 2: First Glue Up

08-19-2009 03:53 AM by Jimi_C | 5 comments »

Didn’t get a chance to work on this last night, so I headed home with a purpose tonight. Started by getting everything prepared for cutting the MDF – I’ve read the dust can be nasty so I opened my garage door and put a fan behind me to blow out. I also got some dust masks out, unfortunately not the best but I figured better than nothing, and with the fan blowing the dust away from me I thought it’d be sufficient for now. I propped up the off-cut side so it wouldn&...

Read this entry »

Part 3: Getting Close to Being Done

08-24-2009 03:12 PM by Jimi_C | 3 comments »

If I never have to cut MDF again, it will be too soon… Unfortunately I’m going to have to trim the edges of the MDF with my router, since I decided to be sloppy and clean it up that way rather than try to make perfect cuts with my circular saw (not likely). At least all the sheets are cut, so I’ll probably take these outside when I’m trimming so I don’t spend another hour vacuuming my garage. Overall, things are getting close to wrapping up, for the primary ...

Read this entry »

Part 4: Phase 1 Nearly Complete

08-26-2009 03:07 AM by Jimi_C | 4 comments »

Got a LOT done last night, including getting everything glued and trimmed up. Here’s a (slightly blurry) picture of the bench as it is now: The base is bolted together, but the top is not attached yet. Still, this sucker is heavy and sturdy! I don’t even have the bolts through the base tightened all that much, and it does not rock at all. As soon as I bolt the top to it, I expect it to survive a tactical nuke :D I need to glue some 1×4’s onto the bottom of...

Read this entry »

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics