LumberJocks

Cherry File Cabinet

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by JimYoung updated 01-13-2015 02:51 AM 5 parts 12437 reads 9 comments total

Part 1: Milling frame and joinery

12-19-2014 10:34 PM by JimYoung | 0 comments »

It’s been a while since my last woodworking project, so I’m easing back into the groove with a new file cabinet. I have a piece of junk tin cabinet in my home office that squeaks every time I open and close it. I did some serving trays in Cherry, and really liked working with it, so my new file cabinet will be Cherry. I found a photo online and liked the style so I sketched it up in Sketchup and AutoCAD. The legs are 1 3/4” x 1 3/4” and the rest of the frame is 1&...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Vacuum bagging veneer and glue up

12-29-2014 01:22 AM by JimYoung | 0 comments »

I’ve had some time off for the holidays, and I’m making good progress. I ordered some quarter sawn cherry veneer from OVIS along with soft close drawer slides. A friend loaned me his vacuum pump and I vacuum bagged the veneer to 1/4” birch plywood with West Systems epoxy. I’m used to working with epoxy from my modeling experience. I just pour the epoxy onto the plywood, and squeegee it around with one of the wife’s credit cards. You end up just wetting the...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Box Joints (or how not to make a plywood box)

12-30-2014 12:22 AM by JimYoung | 2 comments »

Ok, so the carcass (correct term?) of the file cabinet is all glued up and came out really nice. I have a few touch ups with a sanding block to do. I set off this morning in search of decent 1/2” plywood to make the two drawers. I ended up driving 1/2 an hour into town to Rockler to pickup a sheet of 1/2” Baltic Birch and some 1/4” for the bottoms, along with some satin Arm R Seal. Made a side trip on the way home to Lowes to spend the gift cards that were burning a ho...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Box Joints - 2nd Attempt

01-01-2015 03:52 PM by JimYoung | 6 comments »

Thanks for the comments and suggestions on my last post. I don’t have a dado blade yet, but after a quick search I found a box joint jig for a single blade table saw. It is basically a drill bit that is the same size as the kerf of the saw blade stuck into a piece of wood. I did a test cut in some plywood and found a drill bit that just fit. I then drilled an undersize hole in some scrap wood and pressed the bit into place. The only restriction here is that the bit be closer to the...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Finished

01-13-2015 02:51 AM by JimYoung | 1 comment »

We’ll the file cabinet is finally finished. I applied 3 coats of Arm R Seal satin with a new T-shirt. This is the first time I’ve worked with this product, and I really like it. It is much thinner than Minwax, and goes on very easy and was pretty forgiving. I let it dry at least 6 hours between coats, and scuffed it with 0000 steel wool after the second coat. The final coat went on silky smooth with no real dust specs that I can find. I like the satin finish, and will use it...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com