LumberJocks

Workbench

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by JimYoung updated 04-26-2020 12:28 PM 5 parts 2856 reads 19 comments total

Part 1: Roubo Workbench progress

01-24-2020 02:22 AM by JimYoung | 4 comments »

Hi All,It has been a while since I posted, or did some woodworking, so I thought I’d share the progress I’ve made to date on my new split-top, Roubo workbench. I actually bought the hard maple back in September 2018 at the LL Johnson fall woodworking show. They had good deals on lumber and there were quite a few workshops and presentation I sat in while they skip planned and straight edge ripped my selections. I bought the plans and hardware from Benchcrafted with some ...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Dovetail and tail vise

03-30-2020 11:25 AM by JimYoung | 8 comments »

While being in lockdown in Michigan, I’ve had some time to continue with my work bench build. I finished gluing up the two slabs for the top and took them to Armstrong Millworks to have them jointed and planed to thickness. I just don’t have the tools or skills yet to tackle this job. While I was there I picked up a few more boards to finish up the bench. Next up was to hog out the bottom of the front top slab for the tail vise and glue the dog hole board in place. I̵...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Top and Chop

04-04-2020 01:11 PM by JimYoung | 2 comments »

With the Michigan shelter in place order, I’m making good progress on the work bench. The mortises for the legs are cut. I had to borrow a T50 Torx bit to install the knock down hardware to hop the top in place. These bolts are top quality and no issues with them. Hardest part about this step was crawling around on the floor. Next up was final shaping the Chop/Leg Vise. I didn’t have a thick enough piece of maple, so I laminated a piece of cherry to the front and cut t...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Finishing touches

04-08-2020 07:23 PM by JimYoung | 2 comments »

I’m on forced vacation this week, so I’ve been able to get a lot done, between bike riding with my daughter and the honey do list, and I’m basically finished with the workbench. The stock for the deadman guide Needed to be straightened out, so I used my tail vise again, and glued it in place. The slot for the deadman was routed in the top, and I flipped the shape of the chop to make the deadman. Next everything was disassembled and given a quick coat of ...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Workshop improvements

04-26-2020 12:28 PM by JimYoung | 3 comments »

With the completion of my new Roubo workbench, I set out to reorganize and arrange my workshop since I have a lot of time on my hands due to the virus. The current arrangement was cramped and there was no room to work or move materials around. The first thing was to rotate my table saw 90 degrees to give better access for infeed and out feed. The work bench sits behind the table saw, and essentially extends the outfeed. I re-plumbed my dust collector and parked it next to the support pole...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com