LumberJocks

Lowboy Build

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by JeremyPringle updated 04-27-2015 10:29 PM 7 parts 33433 reads 19 comments total

Part 1: Getting started...

01-18-2015 02:48 AM by JeremyPringle | 5 comments »

The time has finally come. I have been waiting almost 2 years for this. I have finally gotten everything off my plate and can now start my Chippendale Lowboy! I have been saving magazines and books that have related builds in them. The problem I have with them all is they are for Queen Anne lowboys. I want a Chippendale lowboy. Even though they are similar, I have found a few differences in them.. First and most obvious is the legs and feet. Cabriole vs. ball + claw. I have...

Read this entry »


Part 2: board selection and layout

01-19-2015 01:13 AM by JeremyPringle | 2 comments »

I was fortunate enough today to have a few uninterrupted hours in the shop. I laid out all my boards and meticulously picked which ones I wanted. I had a few that were still really rough, so I (to my eternal shame) pulled out my thickness planer and cleaned off just enough to see what they would look like. I was able to make some decisions from there.. I do not have any boards wide enough to have a 2 board top, so 3 it will have to be. I used one of the boards I got for Christmas f...

Read this entry »


Part 3: The things that must get done

02-01-2015 02:06 AM by JeremyPringle | 2 comments »

As the title of this entry states ’The things that must get done’. This is in reference to all the things that I knew I would need to do in order to complete certain tasks in the build. For example.. in the past I have always been able to get by using my LA jack as a jointer plane, or if need be I would borrow one from a friend saving me the money of having to buy a plane for one small operation. This build of course is a different story. There is going to be lots of jointing....

Read this entry »


Part 4: planing the legs to size.

02-08-2015 02:27 AM by JeremyPringle | 0 comments »

Since getting the #7 tuned up and finally sharpening the blade for my jack plane I have spent quite a bit of time planning the legs. My max size is 2 15/16. I have to flatten one side, then square up an edge; then square up and dimension the other edge. From there I scribed the final thickness and started planning. The #7 is pretty heavy, so I have been using the jack for most of the grunt work. I know this is a pretty boring operation and generally not one worth having an entry. But&...

Read this entry »


Part 5: gluing up the side panels

02-16-2015 01:52 AM by JeremyPringle | 1 comment »

Since getting the planes tuned up and working properly, I have been alternating between flattening the side panels and dimensioning the legs. Today I finally glued up the side panels. I used winding sticks and a straight edge to flatten the backside of the boards (inside surface) and then squared the matting edges.. With the one board sitting on top of the other, I checked to make sure the seams looked perfect.. Yup… Next step.. Um.. Yeah… If you could just heat up...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Leg work..

04-05-2015 08:03 PM by JeremyPringle | 3 comments »

Letting off from last entry, I had just finished gluing up the side panels. Now it was time to finally get the legs dimensioned. I planed all 4 sides of one of the legs, but decided it was way too much work to do it again 3 more times. So, I figured that there was enough stock left that I could use my rip saw to remove most of the material saving myself tons of time and energy. Then I used the planes to get them to final dimension, and then decided which leg goes where and marked th...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Bowsaw done!

04-27-2015 10:29 PM by JeremyPringle | 6 comments »

With time being a commodity in low supply, it has taken me much longer to finish making my bowsaw than I had wanted. None the less, it is finally done. I started with the kit. I bought the Gramercy bowsaw kit and printed off the plans in 1:1 scale. Admittedly, I bought the kit quite a while ago and have never gotten around to making it. But I did mill the stock for it right after buying the kit, then I just let it sit there… After marking everything out I cut the mortises...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com