Walnut display case #2: All done, time for a nap... and to clean the shop

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by JeremyPringle posted 06-19-2013 09:00 PM 1833 reads 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Jointing and planing, and planing, and planing, and planing.... Part 2 of Walnut display case series no next part

The past 3 weeks have been crazy. Aside from my full time day job, kids baseball 5 nights a week, I actually had very little time to work on this case, BUT it had to be done. Because I was in such a scramble to get it done, I forgot to take pictures of most of the process.

Without pictures there really is not much to write about. But there were some really interesting things that I did take pictures of. One… I had a really cool idea and contacted Paul ‘Shipwright’ and asked him if he was interested. Time was tight, but he was willing, and it turned out awesome. I asked Paul to use his Chevy and make me the logo of the company that the case is for.

After making the void in the drawer, and heating up the glue, I installed the logo and clamped it down overnight. The next morning I scraped it flush.

I painted the main base cabinet with pitch black milk paint, and of course while I was painting it on, I knocked over my jar. I yelled of my wife to come downstairs to help before it thickened too much. But now I have a huge spot on the floor in my basement. After a few coats the base was pitch black, I gave it a light sanding and put on a few coats of water based semi gloss poly. I had some checked plate cut to size and bolted on the front.

The case itself I used figured walnut. I wanted a really dark rich walnut, I did about 10 different combinations of coloured waxes, oils, shellacs top get the colour I liked the best. I settled on black walnut tung oil, then 3 thin coats of amber shellac (just for some colour, not enough to fill the pours) and then conservators wax as the final top coat.
Here is the finished project.

Logo made by Paul ‘Shipwright’ inset into the curly walnut drawer front.

And here it is in its new home with the glass installed.

Now, upon completion of most of my projects I like to look back and reflect on what I have learned from the process.
1. I am seriously under power tooled for ‘production’ kinds of jobs that have tight deadlines. I could have saved huge amounts of time if I had a power jointer….. I mean huge. Not to mention that I filled 4 garbage bags full of shavings, and strained my arms from the hours of hand planning that I did.
2. I cannot compete with production style shops that make this kind of thing day in and day out.
3. You have to order glass with about a weeks lead time. I did not know this, in fact I only cut the rabbet in the frame for the glass 4 days before my delivery date… thusly… I was in fact late in delivering this.

Thanks for reading, now its time for that nap…. after I clean up my mess.

4 comments so far

View molan's profile


146 posts in 2785 days

#1 posted 06-19-2013 09:09 PM

Ordering glass is a pain and time consuming (and expensive!) I also found that out the hard way.

This turned out really nice! I love the look of Walnut!

What did your client end up thinking about the case?

View JeremyPringle's profile


321 posts in 3037 days

#2 posted 06-19-2013 09:17 PM

So far so good.

View shipwright's profile


8414 posts in 3361 days

#3 posted 06-20-2013 12:19 AM

Nice job Jeremy.
I was wondering how you had made out with it.
Looks great.

-- Paul M ..............the early bird may get the worm but it’s the second mouse that gets the cheese!

View tirebob's profile


134 posts in 3417 days

#4 posted 06-20-2013 01:50 PM

Great job buddy!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics