LumberJocks

Lathe Stand

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Jarred updated 01-11-2015 07:04 PM 5 parts 8783 reads 2 comments total

Part 1: The Redo

12-29-2014 04:42 AM by Jarred | 0 comments »

This summer I made a stand for a lathe that my father found at a garage sale and donated to me out of the goodness of his heart. I posted the project, which I made using a couple of 2×4’s and some scrap plywood. I painted it black for contrast with the turnings and completed it with casters to make it mobile. After using the lathe for awhile, I began noticing some recurring themes about the stand that I wanted to improve upon. First, I was having to travel to my grinder for shar...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Waste Control

01-04-2015 12:17 AM by Jarred | 0 comments »

After a few episodes of near-drowning in a heap of sandpaper scraps, I decided enough was enough. I found a small plastic trash bin, placed two nails in the upper edge of the back of the stand, and had a ready-made, integrated waste solution. Pretty simple, but works. Nails in place before hanging the can (far right of picture): Back of the stand with can in place: Close-up: From the front:

Read this entry »


Part 3: The Daily Grind

01-08-2015 04:10 AM by Jarred | 0 comments »

I learned early on that turning tends to dull tools rather efficiently. Before we moved my workbench, which had the lathe bolted on, was right next to some shelves, where I bolted the grinder. These were fairly tight quarters, and the grinder was close by anytime I was on the lathe. Now that I had a bigger garage, I couldn’t find a location for the grinder near where the lathe stand was stored. My original lathe stand design did not leave enough surface to add the grinder to the top of the st...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Tool Trouble

01-09-2015 12:40 AM by Jarred | 1 comment »

My tool storage consisted of loops on pegboard and clamps for the larger instruments. The advantages were easy visualization of the tools and simplicity. The major disadvantage was distance from the working end of the lathe. I found that I hoarded the tools in a pile on the table saw nearby, or on the lathe stand in the sandpaper heap. The tools would occasionally fall onto the concrete floor, shortening the times between sharpening. I happened upon a two-tiered tool holder on a tool websi...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Sanding Station

01-11-2015 07:04 PM by Jarred | 1 comment »

Figuring out how to make sandpaper available was a challenge. My first method was tearing small strips of sanding sheets. Although effective, this took time, and I seemed to be misplacing the sheets fairly frequently. I looked into smarter ways of sanding on the lathe. I found woodturner’s packs of sandpaper, with 1” strips of various grits. This made a lot more sense than tearing strips of sheets of sandpaper. However, the packs seemed a bit pricey, and I wanted to be able to conceal the ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com