...And There Was Light

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Jarred posted 01-13-2015 03:25 AM 1257 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch

A lack of light was one of the shortcomings of my original design. My garage has two west-facing windows, but not a whole lot of useable light. I had used a pair of portable halogen work lights on a stand. Both of them promptly burned out. When I went to the hardware store to replace the bulbs, I looked through the lighting section and found a clip-on LED light with a flexible neck.

I had a hard time finding a place to clip the light. The frame of the lathe stand was too wide for the clip. The only place I could fit the clip on was in the frame of the motor housing. This would not work for longer spindles, and opened the dust cover enough that the motor was exposed to sawdust.

I needed to make a track lighting system. My first design had the lamp stand with an adjustable clamp to slide along the back of the table. This was a bit of a reach for the lamp, which would barely reach the workpiece. I decided to rout a T-track towards the middle of the table and make a sliding stand for the lamp. I used some scrap oak and sassafras to make the main part of the stand. I cut a strip of ultra-high molecular weight plastic to fit the base of the stand to help it glide. The T-bolts were screwed through the plastic into the oak, and adjusted to fit snugly in the track.

Support Block:

From Above:

Routed T-Track:

Block in Place on Track:

Lamp in Place:

-- My projects are imperfect in every way, just like their creator. Their creator loves them nonetheless, just like mine.

0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics