Mini hand tool cabinet #3: Four panels

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by JSOvens posted 09-15-2014 07:35 AM 1843 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Hybrid milling Part 3 of Mini hand tool cabinet series Part 4: Hand-cut finger joints »

I was able to spend some time last weekend preparing the boards I milled to be glued into panels. In the original plane I posted at the beginning of this series, the depth of both the wall-mounted portion and door were 4-1/2”. Since 2×4’s are about 3-1/2”, I decided to make one panel for each side just over 9” with three 2×4 boards, and then rip them in half. This more efficiently uses the wood than doing each 4-1/2” panel separately, and also gives some continuity when the cabinet is closed.

Since I don’t have a jointer, I am left jointing the glue-up edges with a Stanley No. 4 hand plane:

The vise I am using is a pipe-vise (i.e. built using pipe clamps) as per Jay Bates design. It is very handy since I can dismount it from my bench when I need more bench space (such as during the face planing in the last entry of this series) and was very economical at about $50 including the Pony pipe clamp fixtures at about $12 each. I have found it to be at a very comfortable height for cutting joinery, but I find it uncomfortably high for hand planing. One day, I will make (or buy) myself a proper front vise or some such device (and probably a new workbench while I’m at it).

All of that aside, I used the common method of ganging and planing two pieces together, making sure that they are positioned such that they ‘open’ into their final glue-up configuration. Obviously a jointer plane is probably better for this task, but I don’t have one. I DO have a No. 5, but it is currently not in operation. I saw Paul Sellers (whom I greatly respect) rave about how you can do pretty much anything with a No. 4, so I gave it a shot. They didn’t sit together perfectly, but it was close enough to clamp together into some sort of a sprung joint. What do you guys think, is a No. 7 or 8 all it’s cracked up to be as a must-have plane? Or will more practice and technique honing with my No. 4 do just as well? Anyways, with the jointing done, it was on to the glue-up.

To try and dissuade the panels from bowing too much, I needed some weight. These tomato juice bottles were about the heaviest things I could find.

For the remainder of the week, I have been gluing panels together. I had to do them one at a time due to my limited selection of clamps, but when it’s a hobby those sort of limitations don’t hurt too much. I finally ended up with four nice panels, two sides, a top and a bottom.

I had each panel feature a set of book-matched boards and one outlier. I truth, I wasn’t too concerned about grain flow in this project but I didn’t want to ignore it completely.

I am also a bit concerned about the thickness of the panels. With the residual warping in the glued-up panels, I don’t know how thin they will become while flattening them. If they end up too thin (as in less than 3/8”), I may have to change my design. This will be the next task at hand – flattening the panels.

As always, thanks for taking the time to read about my exploits!

-- Jeffrey S. Ovens, Canada

1 comment so far

View BikerDad's profile


347 posts in 4168 days

#1 posted 09-15-2014 06:33 PM

Keep in mind that if they end up too thin for this project, they’ll be good for some other small to medium size project. I like the tomato juice approach, creative, and if you work up a thirst flattening the panels, you’ll be covered.

-- I'm happier than a tornado in a trailer park! Grace & Peace.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics