Adirondack chair: part 2

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Hopman posted 02-10-2012 11:29 PM 2689 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Thanks maricamp for the nudge to do an update on my progress with the chair. It’s definitely coming along. I’d say I’m about 90% done actually, and it has been a lot of fun watching this take shape. I’ve made some mistakes along the way, thankfully none of those mistakes have been unrecoverable. If/when I make another one of these, I’ll be able to do it MUCH faster.

I took lots of care sanding the most visible surfaces like the back of the chair, the top of the seat, the legs, and especially the arms. My sander tends to leave squiggly marks if I’m lazy and do a rush-job. On the ends of the arms are holes cut, then I routed the edges so a wine glass is held nice and snug. People seem to like that feature.

Oh…that reminds me – I should really give all design credit to Chad Gordon of By Gordon Living. I promise this is not an attempt to sell anything…in fact I’ve never even met the guy, but he does this stuff (wine barrel furniture) for a living and I pretty much copied everything I could see from his chairs online. Anyways, it’s his creative vision, not mine.

So the whole thing is assembled and stained. I just finished cutting the plugs and sanding them flush this morning which means I have some touch-up staining to do. Then I’m going to screw on some pieces of the metal hoops from the wine barrels on the front legs, and go to town with the poly. I can’t wait for my first glass of wine sitting in this chair.

Again, if any of you pro’s lurking around have suggestions on what I could be doing differently, I’m all ears.


- Dave.

2 comments so far

View WoodWorkinginNC's profile


4 posts in 3222 days

#1 posted 08-17-2012 02:29 PM

Great looking chair, can’t believe it was your first one. I’m currently attempting my first and only hope it turns out as good as yours!

View winecountrywhimsy's profile


99 posts in 4462 days

#2 posted 09-21-2012 01:29 AM

Great job on your first try. Wish my first was that good. Some observations I hope you find useful.
- If you cut notches in the front stave of the seat so that it will partially fit between the front legs, then it will overhand the cross piece. This makes it stronger and more confortable on the back of your legs.
- I also cut off the ends of the seat staves so that they follow the same angle as the back legs. I like that look better than the square look of the seat. It also make the chair slightly lighter, which is important only if you need to move it around.
- You don’t need to use the widest staves for the front legs. The widest staves make for good arms. If you use a front leg that is narrower than the arm, then you don’t have to taper the top of the leg to fit the arm and this will take less time.
- I see your seat fastenes are on top of the seat. If you fasten the seat staves to the back legs from below, the fasteners will be hidden. You can also get away with cheap deck screws when they are hidden, which are also easier to use than through bolts or regular wood screws.
- I started using a new finish on my chairs. Easy to use and maintain. With varnish or poly, you will eventually need to sand it down and refinish. That is no fun.

Keep up the good work.

-- Todd @ winecountrywhimsy Sonoma County, CA

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics