Thien Baffle on the fly project #1: day 1

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Holbs posted 02-23-2014 02:08 AM 2289 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
no previous part Part 1 of Thien Baffle on the fly project series Part 2: day 2 »

And so.. my personal Thien Baffle challenge begins.
1/2” MDF (i have 2 of these 4×8’ sheets..might as well use them). First time ever working on MDF with a power tool. To date… MDF 1, Eric 0 for dust control.
This baffle will sit on top of a 55 gallon plastic drum, be 12” high (to allow more separation and swirling action), and same as many other Thien Baffles out there with a couple differences:

1.) I used a 45 degree chamfer bit on the outer lip to give falling particles no gap space against the 1/16” lexan I’ll be installing. This has increased my gap space another 1/2” from the desired 1 1/8” cut out end result (right now, the cut out is 2 1/8” because I’ll be laminating 1/8” hardboard on top of the MDF to extend 1” into cutout area). Shall see how this messes anything up.

2.) routed a 1/16” wide 1/8” deep slot at the top of the chamfer for the 1/16” lexan. Made it all the way around and was pulling it backwards to blow out the dust inside the groove and the tip of the bit broke. Darn it.

I am thankful to have picked up a MicroFence edge guide with circle jig at an auction for $20 will everything intact, as this thing is a wonderful perfect router circle jig and with the help of a hand clamp a wonderful circle jig marker as well.

-- The Carpenter Bee is derived from the Ancient Greek word wood-cutter "xylokopos/ξυλοκὀπος"

2 comments so far

View WoodES's profile (online now)


162 posts in 2302 days

#1 posted 02-23-2014 04:43 AM

Looks like my layout…..

I used some of the inexpensive orange box pine faced finish plywood for mine. At first I thought your slot was too big, but then read that you were covering with 1” hardboard. Should work good.

I routed a groove on the bottom to match the diameter of the barrel and as it has a rolled edge, a cove bit makes a nice fit.

One other thought. I screwed the walls to the vertical supports. I didn’t want the suction to implode the walls. No problem so far.

View Holbs's profile


2262 posts in 2640 days

#2 posted 02-23-2014 06:29 AM

ES.. I was going to route a groove underneath the baffle to sit astride the top of the barrel by 1/4” as well. However, somewhere along the lines I messed up the diameter measurement. The bottom of the outside lip is somehow magically flush with the lip of the barrel. I can still save this as functional, but leaves little leeway in any weatherstripping errors.
And to end the evening, 2 pictures: baffle sitting on top of barrel, followed by the top plate being spaced with 12” spacers for a dry fit (and somehow, the top of the plate is exactly 4’ from floor)

-- The Carpenter Bee is derived from the Ancient Greek word wood-cutter "xylokopos/ξυλοκὀπος"

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics