Plantation Shutters #15: 2nd attempt at sanding pieces: success!

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Holbs posted 06-26-2017 05:18 AM 2147 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 14: Re-Square window jambs, Charles Neil's trace coating Part 15 of Plantation Shutters series Part 16: Testing of stain, gel, oil, charred, ammonia, and shellac on basswood. For science! »

Very happy at the end results with this batch.
In previous blog entry, I mentioned I was giving a shot at the “trace coat” sworn by Charles Neil. It really helped to determine when to keep sanding, when to stop sanding. Though, I think I messed up the first board in the beginning by wiping 100% pure red food coloring instead of later boards of diluted water: 80% water / 20% food coloring (or so) to give that “haze” of color instead of rich color. If you are interested in this method, do visit Mr Neil’s website for in depth talk and do’s and dont’s.
I was undecided if using a hand plane would work or using a scraper on the edges. I went hand plane and realized this basswood is finicky with the grain direction. I also added 1/16” addition on the edges when I sent pieces through the table saw knowing I would probably use a hand plane. But either way, I made man-glitter!

I think using a hand plane on the edges would “compact” the fibers so did a light sanding of 240 (really got to order some 180 & 220 soon), also ROS’d carefully the faces with 120 then 240. Broke the edges while I was at it and thank goodness I built this down draft table. Makes a HUGE difference.
I have learned from my first batch. I fine tuned both my table saw (down to 0.002”) and miter saw (0.004” over 12” length) so that everything would end up square. End result: everything is square and correct measurements.
Have to do some light edge sanding from the miter saw cuts tomorrow, but that shouldn’t take long. Can finally get to the next step of assembling frames using the Rockler plantation shutter jig hopefully this week.

-- The Carpenter Bee is derived from the Ancient Greek word wood-cutter "xylokopos/ξυλοκὀπος"

3 comments so far

View AandCstyle's profile


3258 posts in 2859 days

#1 posted 06-26-2017 09:12 PM

Holbs, the blanks look good. Now, the real fun begins when they will start looking like shutters.

-- Art

View Holbs's profile


2258 posts in 2631 days

#2 posted 06-26-2017 09:19 PM

Yep. Before continuing, I am researching how best to seal, stain, and protect the basswood frames & louvers. Mind you, everything in the above pictures are for the stiles & rails. I bought Rockler’s pre-cut louvers already since they were on sale.
It seems basswood is even more difficult than Knotty Alder! Looking at Japanese burning of wood…

-- The Carpenter Bee is derived from the Ancient Greek word wood-cutter "xylokopos/ξυλοκὀπος"

View FoundSheep's profile


196 posts in 1058 days

#3 posted 06-27-2017 03:02 PM

Looking good Holbs! Can’t wait to see them come together.

-- -Will, FoundSheep Designs

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics