LumberJocks

Shopsmith

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by GreaseMonkey2275 updated 05-09-2015 04:13 PM 4 parts 8258 reads 19 comments total

Part 1: My 1958 Shopsmith Mark V

05-01-2015 12:56 AM by GreaseMonkey2275 | 9 comments »

Apr-12-2015: After building my military shadow box with a friend of mine and using his Shopsmith for a few parts of the project, I decided that I wanted one for myself so I picked up a 1958 Shopsmith Mark V and am in the middle of restoring it. The motor when I got it would barely turn and now it runs like a champ (amazing what blowing out 57 years of sawdust can do!). I replaced the original v-belt and three of the four bearings; as soon as the gilmer belt arrives I can start putting the hea...

Read this entry »


Part 2: My 1958 Shopsmith Mark V

05-04-2015 02:27 PM by GreaseMonkey2275 | 0 comments »

May 3, 2015 – What a roller coaster weekend of emotions; I walked out to the garage Saturday morning to continue the restoration of the Magna Jointer when I decided that my bench needed to be cleaned off in order to continue. While I was cleaning up my wife came out to the garage with a package that came in the mail; my rebuilt control sheave! I stopped what I was doing and started putting the headstock back together. A couple of youtube videos later I plugged it in, flipped the switch, and n...

Read this entry »


Part 3: My 1958 Shopsmith Mark V

05-06-2015 02:25 PM by GreaseMonkey2275 | 2 comments »

Monday May 4th I took my 1958 Shopsmith 3/4 horsepower motor down to the electrical motor shop and found out that I had a bad capacitor. However, after replacing the capacitor the motor still wouldn’t run and the guy at the repair shop recommended replacing the start-up relay. Being the mechanic that I am and having rebuilt starters before I figured there shouldn’t be too much of a difference between the contacts in this relay and the ones for the starter solenoid, except the si...

Read this entry »


Part 4: My 1958 Shopsmith Mark V

05-09-2015 04:13 PM by GreaseMonkey2275 | 8 comments »

I’m a little late catching up with my blog but as of May 6th the headstock is back on my Shopsmith and operating like a well-oiled machine. Pun intended…especially since it was in dire need of lubrication. Below is an updated photo of my “new” Shopsmith. Last night I finished removing all of the rust off of the bandsaw table and hopefully this weekend I will get it mounted back onto the bandsaw. I had to call in a little machine work from my dad since one of the up...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com