TV Stand #8: Raised Panel Doors, Soss Invisible Hinges, Table Top Edge, Getting Ready for the Finish

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Angela posted 10-17-2011 03:14 AM 4004 reads 1 time favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 7: Cauls, jigs, molding and doors Part 8 of TV Stand series Part 9: Finishing and finishing »

Yes it’s been over a month since I’ve posted an update but I’m still working on my TV stand.

Raised Panel Doors

Since my last blog, I finished the raised panel portion of my doors. This is the first time I’m doing a raised panel and I was having a problem getting the panel flush with the frame.

To correct this problem I disassembled the panel router bit and raised the back cutter.

Now I would be able to remove more of the back.

Now the panel fit exactly where I wanted it to.

I cut the slot in the frame for the panel.


I decided on using Soss invisible hinges. If I were to do it over I would either install the hinges before putting everything together or I would use different hinges. Because everything already together they were difficult to install. I couldn’t use a router because the lack of space so I used a Dremel tool and chisel. It worked but it would have looked much better if I had been able to used a template and router bit.

Table Top Edge
I purchased several different router bits for the edge of the top. I ended up using a Lonnie Bird Table Edge router bit. It cost a small fortune but I couldn’t find a company that made a similar router bit.

I also made a cove for under the table top but I don’t think I’m going to use it because the measurements of my top are off. I sort of screwed things up. I have designed a pattern for the TV stand but when I glued up the sides the angles went off. When I cut the bottom and the shelf I used the actually case to determine the size. When I went to cut the top I used the pattern, which was a mistake since the angles had changed. Because of this the over hang of the top isn’t even and therefore I think the cove wouldn’t look right.

I added a few pieces in the back to cover the plywood.

I still haven’t decided on a finish. I haven’t been satisfied with anything I’ve tried. The closest thing I’ve found so far is General Finishes Rosewood. I’ve order a few more colors from W.D. Lockwood.

I have sanded everything to 180. Then I wiped everything down with water, let it dry and sanded everything with 220. The edges of the table I continued sanding with 220, 320 and 400. I used a vacuum and air compressor but there still seemed like there was a lot of dust so I wiped it down with mineral spirits. I’m going to wipe on a 1 pound cut of shellac then I’m going to fill the wood. I’m using an oil based wood filler. The wood filler company says to stain the project first then use the filler. I tried this on a sample and didn’t like the out come so I tired using the filler before the stain and like they way it looked so that’s why I’m doing it this way.

The doors are not glued together yet. I want to stain the door panel before I glue them up.

So hopefully my next posting will be the finished project and not about how I ruined my nice TV stand with a bad finish.


-- - Helping other woodworker's

2 comments so far

View PurpLev's profile


8551 posts in 4156 days

#1 posted 10-17-2011 03:18 AM

looks grand angela. very clean lined and well formed.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Tootles's profile


808 posts in 3009 days

#2 posted 10-17-2011 12:27 PM

Looks very nice. Yoou’ve put a lot of effort into this and it has come out well.

-- I may have lost my marbles, but I still have my love of woodworking

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics