LumberJocks

Dollhouse #6: Productive weekend

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by FreddieMac posted 12-17-2018 02:23 PM 469 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 5: Jaming to the tunes and painting, painting and more painting Part 6 of Dollhouse series Part 7: Windows and the sprint to the finish »

We had a good weekend of work on the doll house.

We got the sides attached to the base and designed the 360 wheels from an old office chair. That way when it is on the ground she will be able to spin it without worrying about scratching the wood floors. We painted all the insides with the correct color scheme.

Next I wanted to work on getting the roof installed. We decided that we would only do a one sided roof so that she could have the maximum play space on the top floor. I painted the roof black, but I have my second store bought item, shingles. I figured there might be some holes or spaces in the shingles, so having the base black would be a good idea. It was.

Once the roof was on, it was time to cut the floors and crown molding. I took some regular 1x stock and planed it down to 3/8”. Once planed down, I cut a 1/4” cove bit using my trim router. Then painted it all white.

Once that was done, I painted it and installed it at the floor height using a gauge I built from a dowel. I am using the crown to hold up the floor.

Next we started working on the 2nd and 3rd floor. Originally, I was was just going to have 10” of space between each floor. But one of the things we have been doing was bringing in the dolls and furniture to test fit everything. The kitchen set she has fridge that would not comfortably fit. So I adjusted the floors to 10.5” 1st and 9.5” second floor. It still looked good when we cut the floors.

Next I started working on painting the walls and floors. While that was drying I started putting on the shingles, but we ran out, so I will need to go get those.

I started the porch, but did not get far because my back decided to inform me that I had been in the shop for too many hours over the past three days. Still have a lot left, but we are getting there. My goal is to build the porch the next few nights while I wait on my new miter box.

One a side note, I decided to buy a new small miter box and saw with a finer teeth to work on windows. I decided on this model.

The other thing that has come out of this project is that I want to rethink the position of my table saw and outfeed table in my shop. I think I am going to turn it around and build a new 2’x4’ outfeed table on casters so that I can adjust it based on the size of stock I am going to cut.



1 comment so far

View crowie's profile

crowie

3330 posts in 2515 days


#1 posted 12-24-2018 10:44 PM

This little one is learning something very special about the time, effort and patience it takes to make something beautiful and worthwhile…top marks.

-- Lifes good, Enjoy each new day...... Cheers from "On Top DownUnder" Crowie

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com