Workshop recovery (South LA Flood 2016) #4: Finally, thank you for the rain

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by FreddieMac posted 06-26-2017 02:31 PM 1273 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: TS Cindy is passing through and creating a lake in my back yard Part 4 of Workshop recovery (South LA Flood 2016) series Part 5: Roof, windows and house wrap »

So, this weekend was very productive thanks to, ironically, some rain. Friday night my wife and I finished putting up all the sheathing on the roof. It did not take very long because the math worked out where I was able to use 6 uncut sheets with a little some rafters to cut on the backend.

Got a nice slope to from front to back which should allow all the water to drain off. I was in Lowes and saw these PVC boards and decided to use that on my fascia boards. I was surprised how nice it turned out after putting up the rain strips.

Then a massive rain storm hit for three hours on Saturday. It was the perfect time, I cleaned up and turned on the LSU Tigers at the CWS. After the game and rain storm I debated not doing any work. But, my desire to get my woodshop back overrode my worry about the slippery nature of the roof. Great decision. It was only like 81 and cloudy when I got up on the roof. Everything went twice as fast as I thought it would. I had the felt up in about an hour and started putting put the shingles. In about 2 hours it was getting dark and I had made it halfway through the job. Got up the next morning and completed installing all the shingles I had in about an hour, came up one pack short. Made a run to Lowes for the last pack, but decided to wait until 6:30 at night before finishing off the roof.

Worked on the soffits, walls and a new door during the heat of the day when I could stay out of the sun.

I found some of this PVC soffit material that was just a flat piece with some decorations. I think it is suppose to be something for vynl siding, but I just cut it and nailed it up because the lip fit behind the fascia board. It looked pretty good, I just want to keep water off those rafters. I am not complete sure I like the way this is installed, so I stopped that to work on other things while I thought about it.

And at 6:30 pm, got back up on the roof for the final time and completed the shingles. By 7:30 I installed the final cap drip edge for the roof and called it complete.

I have some finish pieces to put on for the walls and need to put the wrap on next. Then vinyl siding and speaking to the electrician this morning.

0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics