Workshop recovery (South LA Flood 2016) #1: First weekend of work

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by FreddieMac posted 06-19-2017 05:58 PM 1688 reads 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
no previous part Part 1 of Workshop recovery (South LA Flood 2016) series Part 2: Getting ready for the tropical depression »

In August of 2016 I received 4 feet of water in my home and woodshop. I have have been a woodworking hobbyist for a number of years. My shop started as just a 10 X 16 storage area and turned into my small woodshop. I built a number of things including my bed and new coffee table over the years. Then on the weekend of August 12, the deluge happened. My old shop had its sides swell and shifted on its footings. Because I had to rebuild my house, the poor woodshop went neglected and was turned over to the spiders and mold. I lost all my wood and tools. All my shelving was below the water line on this shop. I did some minor fixes, but not what was needed. I called it my Redneck palace.

Well the house is complete. So it was time to tear it down. Took all the wall off, cut some key supports on the front, took a tow strap and pulled. She came tumbling down after about 5 minutes of pulling about 1’ from where I planned.

After hours of rip saw clean up and hauling off wood, I was left with just the original floor. A few adjustments with a maul and prybar here, I was able to get the floor basically square again. It will never be square after going through the flood, but I lifted a section of floor to check under it, that pressure treated stuff was a ok.

Ready for walls, I decided to go with a single sloped roof this time instead of a gable. I also decided on 16’ on center studs instead of 24” because Lowes had the purple studs on sale.

It took the wife and I about a day to get all the walls built and up.

Next morning, we woke up and started to add a cap for the roof and gave it a 6” rise from back to front.

About midday we started putting up the rafters when a massive lightening and rain storm hit. It rained for about three hours and we waiting. Once we got out there, we decided to stop for the night because everything was so slippery.

I hope to continue on this project during the week but we are tracking a tropical storm in the gulf. It may come up and hit us later in the week so I am not sure how much I will get done. It would be nice to get a roof on before the rain hits us, but if not I have a dehumidifier I can setup once I have the roof on.

5 comments so far

View htl's profile


4872 posts in 1765 days

#1 posted 06-19-2017 10:11 PM

I never have see those wild looking studs before,what is the purpose of the color change?
You got a great start on a fine finish.

-- An Index Of My Model making Blogs

View builtinbkyn's profile


2999 posts in 1547 days

#2 posted 06-19-2017 10:37 PM

I believe the coloring on the studs is a chemical treatment for fire and mold. The coloring is added to the chemical that treats the wood, making them easy to identify for inspection purposes.

-- Bill, Yo! Brooklyn & Steel City :)

View FreddieMac's profile


147 posts in 954 days

#3 posted 06-19-2017 11:11 PM

Those purple studs are a mold inhibitor. My daughter thinks it’s cool that I am using pink wood in my shop.

View NormG's profile


6501 posts in 3610 days

#4 posted 06-20-2017 11:13 PM

Moving forward, hope you get the roof on before the rain sets in

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View GR8HUNTER's profile (online now)


6819 posts in 1319 days

#5 posted 06-22-2017 12:10 AM

learn something NEW everyday …...... IF you want too …...NICE START :<))

-- Tony---- Reinholds,Pa.------ REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HAVE FUN

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics