LumberJocks

Again with the Dutch tool chest...

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Fraxinus updated 09-25-2016 02:57 AM 5 parts 7770 reads 8 comments total

Part 1: Most of the way there

09-13-2016 07:48 AM by Fraxinus | 0 comments »

Here’s my contribution to the vast body of literature on the subject of Dutch tool chests. I started last month and I’m most of the way through the build. I started woodworking this January and this is my biggest project using hand tools only. I did “cheat” a bit and used a heat gun to reduce the cup of the boards, plus some of the thin stock is scrap from another project that I resawed on my table saw a few months ago. I’m using Ponderosa pine 1×10s and...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Breadboard ends

09-19-2016 05:47 AM by Fraxinus | 0 comments »

Spent an inordinate amount of time on the lid of the Dutch tool chest this weekend. I glued up the panel a few days ago but left it in the clamps with the intention of spending a day preparing it for the breadboards (cutting to final size, flattening) and putting the breadboards on it. Panel is Ponderosa pine, breadboard ends are Douglas-fir. Didn’t quite finish yesterday, so took a couple hours today and finished up. It was a learning experience. These are my first breadboard en...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Hinges, filling, runners

09-24-2016 06:43 AM by Fraxinus | 0 comments »

I spent an evening or two after work this week chopping the hinge mortises and fitting the hinges. The main thing I wanted to avoid was a big gap between the lid and the rim of the case. I also wanted to make sure the lid would stay open. I managed to chop the mortises pretty much exactly how I wanted it, so the fit of the lid to the rim was nice and tight. At first the lid was almost exactly 90 degrees when opened so just a bump sent it falling, but after some fiddling I managed to get it...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Paint it black

09-24-2016 07:13 AM by Fraxinus | 0 comments »

I decided to do a rabbet all around the edge of the lid, matching the rabbet on the fall front (3/4” wide). Used my Stanley 78. It went pretty well, though did get a bit of tear out on one of the breadboards. Dealing with the crossgrain orientation of the panel and the breadboards is a bit challenging when it comes to planing and sanding. Need to figure that one out. After that it was time to paint. Yay! Been looking forward to that for a while. I decided on milk paint when I fir...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Done! (almost)

09-25-2016 02:57 AM by Fraxinus | 8 comments »

Spent pretty much all day today finishing up the tool chest. I finished painting it and scrubbed everything with a green pad to blend in the paint. I really liked how the milk paint looked, so I decided against boiled linseed oil. It’s black black black, almost sucks in the light since there’s nearly no sheen. Some of the pictures make it look lighter and much chalkier than it does in person. After the paint was done, I reinstalled the hinges, this time taking great care to get...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com