LumberJocks

Shop Dust Collection

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Fiddy posted 02-05-2017 10:26 PM 1213 reads 1 time favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Thought I’d share my dust collection set up since I struggled to find something that gave me what I was looking for. Part of what I’ve been working on lately has been my “must have” shop projects and the first was dust collection. I had an older Jet 650 that I bought of CL for about $125 a few years back. When I was at my old house, I would just wheel it to which ever tool I was using and absolutely hated that. Most often I just wouldn’t use it.

I had a few objectives when seeking to get everything set up. 1st – I didn’t want to filter, I wanted to exhaust outside. 2nd – I wanted to get something in place that allowed me to upgrade to a larger blower if I wanted to down the road. 3rd – I wanted to maximize suction with blast gates.

At first the hardest part was just trying to figure in my mind how to mount and vent. Turned out that the best way was to make a “shelf” and simple cut holes for suction end and also what would have been the filter bag end, as it’s upside down. That was fairly simple.

What caused me some delay was trying to get a piece of wood cut round to fit the bag ends of the DC. More difficult than I realized initially as the holes just aren’t very round, so getting a clean measurement was difficult. Making it more difficult, the bottom hole which is smaller, has a taper that actually protrudes out a bit, hard to explain, but if you have this unit then you know what I mean. This led me to get with my buddy who has a machine shop. I gave him a rough measurement and he cut some plate steel on the CNC to weld up to the opening. He then rolled some steel to make a connection point for the 6” exhaust.

The other objective I had was somewhat a given, I wanted to run a cyclone separator. Did some searching and found what I though was going to be a great container to catch dust and it has been perfect. It’s a plastic drum with plastic lid that has a fastening system (don’t know what to call it). Inside the lip of the lid it’s already prepared with silicone so it makes a air tight seal. The lid was somewhat convex, but it felt the cyclone was going to seal with the gasket in place. It did seal and it actually got better, the vacuum that pulled drew the lid in making it more flat. The other topic at this point worth discussing are the fitting to the cyclone itself. My only advice is to bring it with to to the store, I just threw it in a buggy at the various stores as I searched for the right size and I’m glad I did. Was unable to get what I needed at Home Depot, went to Menards and tried the same exact type of galvanized product and what do you know, it fit.

Once I had it mounted vented and ready to go the rest fell in place rather quickly. I had ordered some metal self cleaning blast gates off Amazon, great deal if you’re looking. I believe the company was Powertec, I think. I had my idea of how to arrange the shop so I set up the drops accordingly and just went along running them. I used sewer and drain PVC which works just fine and was better priced. To fit the pieces I used to rounds of electrical tape on most and that made for a nice friction fit. Like most things in the shop, I didn’t want this to be too permanent, just in case.

All said and done, it works great! I’m very pleased with the access to blast gates and overall functionality. As far as the venting outside. I live more or less in the woods on 13 acres and this vent is on the back side of a garage portion of the house away from pretty much anything. What I can say, is that the Super Dust Deputy works amazingly. I ran two 30 gallon drums while milling up lumber for the assembly table and miter station. There was snow on the ground that day and at the end of the day I looked outside and the snow was still stark white. Long and short, barely anything makes it out to vent which is great. I ran a quick test one day and had my wife suck up about a gallon of dust out of a bucket and this was done all at once, not similar to how a tool would product. Even with that amount and being all at once, I think I saw what appeared to be a 1/2 tsp of fine dust, almost a mist come out of the vent.

Last comment – suction itself, as this is what this was built for. Now this is a complete assumption as I didn’t have anything tested before and after, but I’d feel confident stating that there’s more suction now, at least enough to get what I need out of it for now.



2 comments so far

View Kelster58's profile

Kelster58

754 posts in 955 days


#1 posted 02-07-2017 10:53 AM

That is a really nice build. I like the idea of venting to the outside instead of a big filter. Very nice !

-- K. Stone “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ― Benjamin Franklin

View Rhinoc's profile

Rhinoc

5 posts in 1798 days


#2 posted 02-07-2017 11:53 AM

Very clean build although the pipe across the floor wouldn’t work for me. I would end up in the hospital with a fractured hip. LOL

-- If you don't want people to get your goat, don't tell em where it's tied.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com