Greene and Greene inspired raised dog tray #7: Attaching the breadboard ends and plugging all the pinned mortises/breadboard screws

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Eric_S posted 06-11-2012 12:44 AM 12232 reads 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 6: Pinned Tenons, Routing the holes for the bowls, and routing/gluing end caps for the tongues Part 7 of Greene and Greene inspired raised dog tray series no next part

Took me a while to get back to this project. It’s been a hectic past few months.

All that was remaining was plugging all the pinned mortises, attaching the breadboard ends, and plugging those screws as well.

Plugging the legs
Plugging the pinned mortises was a real pain in the ass. I wish I had a mortiser as they would have all been identical in size. Instead, I had to custom fit every single plug. I used a 1/2” chisel to square the holes, but most weren’t perfectly square or exactly 1/2”.

So to start I cut some left over scrap hard maple a bit larger to 5/8” for plugging the legs.

Then came the fun task of hand fitting all 16 holes. To make it a bit easier I beveled the sides to insert them.

Another issue I had was that all the dowels weren’t the same size going in, so the depths of these plugs varied and I had to shave them to relatively the same height.

Look at all the shavings :)

Attaching the Breadboard ends
To attach the breadboard ends, I drilled 3 holes through the ends into the table top. I then took off the ends and extended these holes in the tabletop to 2” deep. I couldn’t get that full depth through the breadboard ends.

Since I was using screws to attach the ends, I elongated the holes in the breadboard ends to allow room for them to adjust as the table expands and contracts. Hopefully you can see in this pic the elongated holes. I just used the drill to expand them.

I drilled a larger hole in the ends and chiseled them square(or close to) with a 3/8” mortise chisel.

I applied only a tiny bit of glue in the center to keep it centered and attached

I used 3” screws to attach the ends, but cut the center screw to 2 1/2” on each side because it would have gone through the bowl cutout otherwise.

Now back to the bandsaw to cut out more plugs. These went a little smoother since most were close to 3/8” square. I cut them just slightly larger but most didn’t take much to fit.

Using the same process as the plugs for the legs I inserted these. Then I beveled all the plugs on the legs and ends.
The only issue was since the heights were all different on the legs, I shaved off too much material on most of the plugs. I wish I left more. They are beveled but its hard to see. The breadboard end plug’s however again went smoother and are noticeable,although probably not in this pic. I also beveled the cloud lifts on the table.

This weekend I had time to do the final sanding, softening all the edges on the table, and start the finishing process. I’m using a polyurethane Arm-R-Seal Top Coat Semi Gloss on the top and a satin on the base. The top will have somewhat of a piano finish because my dog is a messy eater/drinker and I want to make sure it is sealed. I don’t have pics of that process though so you’ll have to wait a couple more days for me to post the final project.

Thanks for looking. The final project will be posted by next weekend! :) Then on to more projects….

-- - Eric Noblesville, IN

4 comments so far

View Roger's profile


21055 posts in 4301 days

#1 posted 06-11-2012 12:56 AM

Lotsa really nice details in this project. Very nicely done.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Keep your dust collector fed. [email protected]

View Beginningwoodworker's profile


13345 posts in 5170 days

#2 posted 06-11-2012 02:45 AM

Eric, your dog bowl is coming alone.

View lew's profile


13547 posts in 5252 days

#3 posted 06-11-2012 03:01 AM

You have one lucky dog!!

I really like the detail on the breadboard ends.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Eric_S's profile


1565 posts in 4692 days

#4 posted 06-11-2012 11:21 AM

Thank you guys. By the way I got those chisel sizes backwards. The legs were done with a 3/8” chisel and the bb ends with the 1/2.

-- - Eric Noblesville, IN

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics