LumberJocks

Garage Overhaul #3: Lesson 3 – The place I end up usually is not where I thought I would be when I started.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Emanon posted 11-18-2020 05:34 PM 483 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Garage Overhaul (or lessons I have learned) Part 3 of Garage Overhaul series Part 4: Rule number (not sure anymore) - Garage floors are not flat. »

One obvious fact about my garage, I do not have much room in it. Because of this I do a lot of my work just outside the garage in the car port. This requires me moving a couple of saw horses, two short 2×12s which I place across the horses, my contractor table saw, some clamps and whatever else I discover I need halfway through my project.

I have a plan to try to put everything on wheels (something call ‘the Beast’ taught me this). So while I was trying to arrange (Ok I’m just moving things around) I noticed there was a bunch of wood that was taking up a bunch of space on the floor. I figured this would be a great time to make a work table that I could wheel outside and get rid of some wood that was on the floor.

My table will be mobile and modular. Mobile with the wheels and modular so if I build another table it would be the same height. I could move the tables around to my liking if say I needed to try to cut those large plywood sheets (another story) or rip a long board.

Using the KISS technique, I decided on 2-3-4 dimensions. It would be 2 foot wide, 3 foot high and 4 foot in length. I drew something up in Visio.

So I measured the first 48”, made the cut with a circular saw and missed by the width of the circular saw blade!! Really!! (I don’t usually type symbols but on this occasion I may have uttered #$&^[email protected]$*)
Looking closer to the cut, it also seemed a bit wonky.

SO, I built a cross cut sled out of scraps of plywood I had available.

I used a plastic cutting board for my runners. Cut them to the width of the miter slots and after a try or three, actually got the runners straight. Glued two pieces of plywood together figuring this would take out any bows and keep it straight. Using the best square I had I put it all together, then waxed the bottom a bit.

Took a while, it is ugly but it works.

Now back to the build.



1 comment so far

View Richard's profile

Richard

1944 posts in 3606 days


#1 posted 11-18-2020 06:31 PM

To me it is beautiful if it WORKS.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com