Wheel loader T and J Cat 966 #4: The end.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Dutchy posted 11-02-2014 01:48 PM 2835 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Wheel profile Part 4 of Wheel loader T and J Cat 966 series no next part

Last time my blog was about making the groves. When this was done I would make the sides looking a little more convex, so I put a wheel again on the lathe and startet turning. But also this time it didn,t go as I would like. My gouge came into the wood and damaged the wheel as you can see on the picture below:

I was thinking about making a new one but first I would gif it a try to repair. So I made a putty from a black water stain mixed with PVA glue (50/50) and fill this with oak sanding dust. The reason for using black stain was that I always ebonizing the wheels. The results you can see below:

After drying and sanding this was the result:

I ebonized and the result was better then I expected. I also gave it an extra treatment with black water stain. This is the result from a fixed and a non fixed wheel:

I made the rims and glued it in the wheel. They now are ready to mount on the wheelloader

Thank you for reading. All coments are welcome.


2 comments so far

View stefang's profile


16705 posts in 3699 days

#1 posted 11-02-2014 02:26 PM

Good work Dutchy, that worked out very well. It looks like real rubber. Can’t wait to see the loader.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View Northwest29's profile


1669 posts in 2855 days

#2 posted 11-08-2014 02:20 AM

Now that is really a very clever way to recover from an little accident. Well done!

-- Ron, Eugene, OR, "Curiosity is a terrible thing to waste."

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics