Building the "Swiss Army Knife" of Small Boats...Wood Duck Double #59: Raising the Seat

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by DustyMark posted 03-21-2021 01:37 AM 296 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 58: Reinforcing Stern for Mounting a Torqeedo Ultralight 1103 AC Electric Motor Part 59 of Building the "Swiss Army Knife" of Small Boats...Wood Duck Double series Part 60: Rigging the Torqeedo Motor »


I fished quite a bit out of the kayak last season and realized that raising the seat would make it considerably more comfortable. I know the boat is stable enough to handle raising the seat about 4” so I made a platform to raise my Creature Comfort seat.

This is a piece of 1/4” Baltic birch plywood connected to some western red cedar 2×4 supports. The cedar was scraps from my sauna build. I cut the cedar to conform to the angle of the floor to avoid pressure points. Everything is sealed with two coats of epoxy, primed, and painted.

I made new hip braces by laminating two layers of 1/4” Baltic birch plywood. The original 1/4” braces seemed a little flimsy.

Brace installed with 1/4” flathead bolts. These braces greatly improve the rigidity of the cockpit opening. The rudder assembly in this photo is for use from the rear seat when used as a tandem. I’m able to leave the hip brace in place when using this rudder position.

Threaded inserts are driven into the cedar supports of the seat platform. A bolt is fastened from the outside of the brace into the seat base support and holds it in place solidly. The platform is then easy to remove for paddling Lake Superior.

NOTE: The four holes in the top of the seat base are spaced to hold a Wise boat seat. In my dry run experiments, I found the Creature Comfort seat more comfortable, but I do have a choice…

I can fit my measuring board and a tackle tray under the seat now. I reclined the seat base 4 degrees (like a good chair!) This setup will be good for a solid day of comfortable kayak fishing!

Made Fishing Shelf Shorter

Raising the seat 4” caused my shins to rub on the fishing shelf at the bow. I cut 4” off the length of the old shelf.

I had to make new outer clamp assemblies and move them forward.

This meant moving everything else except the fish finder base. I plugged the old holes with thickened epoxy and painted the previously varnished assembly to hide the “scars.”

I removed the rod holder from the shelf in order to make room for the Torqeedo throttle. The throttle mounts to the rigid base on the far left.

View of fishing shelf including the seat. Everything is within easy reach, yet out of the way of my paddle stroke.


Install new rudder pedals at forward seating position.

-- Mark, Minnesota

0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics