LumberJocks

Building the "Swiss Army Knife" of Small Boats...Wood Duck Double #41: Reworked Anchor/Rod Holder Module

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by DustyMark posted 07-31-2020 05:09 AM 463 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 40: Rigged for Fishing Part 41 of Building the "Swiss Army Knife" of Small Boats...Wood Duck Double series Part 42: Hip Braces »

Moved it Back
I had an “ah hah” moment this morning and decided to try moving the anchor/rod holder module back just past the cooler hinge. This made everything easier to reach since it wasn’t immediately behind me, allowed me to move my seat back 5” for way better fore and aft trim and gave me free access to the cooler without having to weave through fishing rods.

This is me fishing tonight with the new setup. I rotate my torso and lean an arm on the cooler lid to reach the rods behind me with no stability problems. The green tub, stored in front of me, is my stripping basket that holds my fly line and prevents a tangled mess when I’m casting. Notice that I’m sitting pretty level in the water. The boat cruises easily at 3.5 mph and can do 4.0 mph with a modest effort.

I lost a big northern tonight because we were one rod holder short and I opted to wedge the net between the cooler and the side of the kayak. The fish was taking out line at will whenever it made a run and I have a pretty stout setup. I had the fish approaching the side of the boat and it took me a little too long to find the net handle. As I was searching, the fish made a run toward me and used the slack to get free from my single-hook Johnson’s Silver Minnow. I didn’t see the whole body, but it had a pretty big head…oh well!

Reworking the Module Board
I had to remove the old clamp boards that were already glued and screwed to the module board. The photos below showed how I made the modification without having to redo the whole module. I’ll just need to do some spot varnishing on the bottom.

My Stanley flush cut saw did a good job of sawing off the old clamp.

Not perfectly flush, but pretty close.

Nothing like a sharp plane to clean things up a bit.

Real clean.

The shoulder plane allowed me to work close to the bolts without having to remove them.

Looking good.

After sanding.

The cooler top is slightly above the gunnel, so these spacers raised the module 1 1/4”.

Close-up of the final result. I used it without varnish tonight and will begin coating it tomorrow.

Next
Try to integrate the hip braces with the spray decks…another “ah hah” moment I had today!

-- Mark, Minnesota



2 comments so far

View htl's profile

htl

5162 posts in 1958 days


#1 posted 07-31-2020 11:14 PM

Looking great and nice your able to fine tune the set up.

-- An Index Of My Model making Blogs https://www.lumberjocks.com/htl/blog/130264

View DustyMark's profile

DustyMark

447 posts in 2869 days


#2 posted 08-01-2020 01:39 AM

Thanks, I think that’s the part I like the best…making it mine!

-- Mark, Minnesota

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com