LumberJocks

Building the "Swiss Army Knife" of Small Boats...Wood Duck Double #37: Deck Hatch Covers

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by DustyMark posted 07-27-2020 05:11 AM 420 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 36: Fitting Out the Boat Part 37 of Building the "Swiss Army Knife" of Small Boats...Wood Duck Double series Part 38: Installed Seats »

Hatch Covers
I finished installing the hatch covers today.

I upgraded to the Derlin hatch retainers. They’re durable and work quite well as opposed to a piece of plywood. NOTE: All of the above water line holes through the hull receive a dab of silicon to help prevent water damage in the exposed plywood.

The retainers are each held in place by a #10 stainless machine screw, washer, and nut.

This Frost King weather stripping is amazing. My hatches have always stayed mostly dry even with big waves washing over the deck. Sometimes a few drops make it through the hatch gaskets.

I added a lop of webbing at the aft end of each cover to help remove it. Sometimes the weather stripping gets a good suction grip and there’s nothing to grab onto when there’s only about an 1/8” space all the way around.

Rudder Cable
I glued the rudder cables in place with 3M 5200.

I globbed it on pretty thick where the cables came through the stern deck. It’s ugly now, but primer and paint stick to it okay and I’ll paint over it once it’s cured.

I caulked the cables the same way where they came through the stern bulkhead. I’ll tighten up the rudder cables when the caulk is cured. Once that’s done, I can permanently set the rudder cables.

Spray Deck
I began sewing the fabric portion of the spray deck today.

This is 3 yards of Shelter Rite vinyl. It’s the perfect material for a heavy duty spray deck like this. I marked it out to yield two spray decks.

Spring clamps held the material well as I traced around the coaming. I then added 1/2” all the way around for my seam allowance. I traced the first one to make the second. I’ll also sew webbing straps and clips to hold safety gear and may also sew a spare paddle holder. It’s best to do these mods before pressing any further. Once the accessories are sewn on I’lll sew a polyester sleeve around the perimeter to hold the bungee cord.

Varnish Progress
It was 75% relative humidity in the garage yesterday, so I didn’t do a third coat of varnish on the spray deck components until tonight. I went over 24 hours between coats and had to scuff everything with 220-grit sandpaper. That’s going to make for a better final finish. I tried a modest quality bristle brush instead of a quality foam brush tonight and got much better coverage on these odd-shaped pieces. I should have used a bristle brush from the first coat…still learning!

Next
Final rudder adjustment and sew the spray deck covers.

-- Mark, Minnesota



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com