LumberJocks

Building the "Swiss Army Knife" of Small Boats...Wood Duck Double #31: Tandem Spray Deck and Clamps

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by DustyMark posted 07-21-2020 03:20 AM 589 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 30: Solo Spray Deck and Coaming Part 31 of Building the "Swiss Army Knife" of Small Boats...Wood Duck Double series Part 32: Amine Blush Setback »

Second Spray Deck…Same as the First
The process for building the tandem spray deck is the same as the solo.

I dug into my bigger clamps in order to clamp the stern coaming ring at the same time as the bow.

I drilled a hole in the stack when dry fitting and used silicon bronze nails (leftover from a previous build) to line up the layers during glue-up. This helps to minimize drama during the glue-up.

I cut the nail flush after removing the clamps.

Clamps

This is a close-up of a clamp that holds the spray decks in place. A 3/4” piece of plywood is glued and screwed in place to line the spray deck up with the coaming of the kayak.

A 1/4” threaded insert is screwed into that plywood and provides the means for the 1/4” thick by 1” wide aluminum clamp to grab hold under the deck.

I used a 5/16” nut as a spacer; the 1/4” bolt turns freely through it. This provides a pivot point for the clamp to adjust to the angle of the deck. I’ve cut aluminum spacers, stacked washers, or even glued in extra wood on previous clamps, but this was a lot less work and likely more effective.

Close-ups of some of the clamps on the solo spray deck.

Photo of the cross beams, alignment blocks, and clamps used on the solo spray deck.

Trying it on for Fit

It was time to try the boat on for size and also try the fit of my spray skirt on the new coaming ring.

It’s a good fit!

Copper has good small boat manners and he hopped right into his place.

I’ll build a removable 8” extension to contain him better and also keep out Lake Superior! I’ll top that off with a custom dog spray skirt. When Copper’s not on board, I’ll cover that opening with a bungeed cover.

Mary gave the boat a try also.

Feathering the Rub Strip

I didn’t like the way the edge of the rub strip turned out. I also sanded through the fiberglass in a couple of spots adjacent to it. Since I had to fix those bare spots, I opted to feather the joint with epoxy thickened with silica. It looks a lot better now.

Next
Fiberglass the coaming rings, sand and varnish the spray decks.

-- Mark, Minnesota



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com