Another new shop - third time's the charm? #5: Why Does My Shop Smell Like Turkey?

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by DrPuk2U posted 12-09-2019 08:00 PM 367 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: The Flooring Goes Down Part 5 of Another new shop - third time's the charm? series Part 6: The End Game? »

This is the fifth in a series of posts. I intended to post as I went but the work was HARD and it was often all I could do to get the work on the shop done. Documenting? Sure, later… So now the shop is largely done (haha) and I’ll try to document how I got here.

So by now the shop was looking good. Framing, electrical, insulation, walls, paint and even flooring. However, the house we live in is much smaller than our previous (huge) house in Illinois (6200 sq. ft, 800 sq. ft attic and 4-car garage). The new house is under 3000 sq. ft. and rather oddly laid out. So when my wife was planning to host the family Thanksgiving dinner with 16-18 people (and 6-7 dogs… :-), there was a problem. Where would everyone sit? Where do the food and drink get staged? My wife’s answer was “Why, in Ric’s shop! It’s large, warm and empty!”

In a moment of generosity (or madness) I agreed. So I postponed moving in the rest of the machines (bench, jointer and table-saw were already in). We didn’t have enough chairs so instead I made 4 simple benches. Biggest problem was that there was something wrong with my planer – it wouldn’t feed the boards through. And the jointer was still mothballed. And I was out of time. So instead of making the boards S4S I had to chop them down then finish them individually. Phew. But it was the first project in the new shop so that was cool. As part of the process I had to completely clean the shop – sweep, vacuum and mop. Doubt the shop will ever be as clean again…

Belatedly I figured out what was wrong with the planer: Nothing! It was simply that the planer was stored in the unheated garage and in western Oregon it was a very cold November with lots of frost. Consequently, the rubber on the feed rollers was too hard – so not enough friction to grab the lumber!

I moved the jointer and table-saw to a corner, covered them with plastic drop cloths and warned everyone to not even touch them… ;-) I then moved my bench to the opposite corner, also covered in plastic. We used the bench for the dessert table. We then set up my two 3×6 foot worktables for dining and two more for the drinks, chafing dishes and so on. My wife and daughter strung some decorative lights, tablecloths, even flowers. The result was in fact very cozy and festive.

A great time was had by all. As a measure of that, 16 people at dinner, all with phones and nobody took any photos once the food was staged and the wine opened. :-) But it all turned out great. All and sundry thanked me for making my shop available. I told them they were welcome but don’t count on the venue being available next year!

-- Ric, Western Oregon, "Design thrice, measure twice, cut once... slap forehead, start over"

0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics