LumberJocks

Portable Air Conditioner Awning Window HVAC #5: Mistakes were made

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by DevinT posted 03-28-2021 11:28 PM 439 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: Privacy film, corbels, and the shelf Part 5 of Portable Air Conditioner Awning Window HVAC series Part 6: Supply/Return »

The first shelf I made to sit atop the corbels was not up to the task—it was undersized on purpose but mistakes were also made. It would have to be remade due to a couple errors.

  • The first problem I had was that I didn’t take the kerf of the saw blade into account and that caused the gaps in the dog-ear cutouts I made for the window sill. I think I told myself, that I intentionally undersized it for a test-run, but if I’m being honest, I think that was the real cause of it being undersized.
  • The second mistake I made was that the plywood is 3/4” thick and the final walnut piece is 1 1/8” thick. Those two mistakes alone would have assuredly meant disaster in the end.
Quick-Links to videos found in-order below:
  1. https://twitter.com/freebsdfrau/status/1315017134422908928
  2. https://twitter.com/freebsdfrau/status/1315023678254407680
  3. https://twitter.com/freebsdfrau/status/1315033662186905601
  4. https://twitter.com/freebsdfrau/status/1315039546556387328
  5. https://twitter.com/freebsdfrau/status/1315053232075370496
  6. https://twitter.com/freebsdfrau/status/1315069541408407552
  7. https://twitter.com/freebsdfrau/status/1315411688229793792
  8. https://twitter.com/freebsdfrau/status/1315415576513187840
  9. https://twitter.com/freebsdfrau/status/1315419219366797312
  10. https://twitter.com/freebsdfrau/status/1315425947227574273
  11. https://twitter.com/freebsdfrau/status/1315436288779018240
  12. https://twitter.com/freebsdfrau/status/1315828375794020352

(below 2 images) I ripped another length of ply from my sheet stock.


(below 2 images) I made that cut before I got my Kreg tool which I will definitely use for nearly all rips now.


(below 2 images) Next, I had to mark the dog ears. This time I was determined to get it right, so I meticulously plotted the kerfs.



Then came cut number one: (video) https://twitter.com/freebsdfrau/status/1315017134422908928

(below image) I took my time and tracked the blade onto the kerf path. I was working in 1/64” tolerance here, so I was being very careful to stay on the line and not go over.

(below image) Then I removed all the clamps, flipped the board, re-clamped everything, and made the second of four cuts to free the dog ears.

The second cut: (video) https://twitter.com/freebsdfrau/status/1315023678254407680

(below image) As careful as I was, I was off by 3/128” but I later fixed that with a tiny palm-sized hand plane, bastard file, and sandpaper.

(below image) More creative clamping. Getting ready for cut number 3.

Cut 3: (video) https://twitter.com/freebsdfrau/status/1315033662186905601

I used the Ryoba style Vaughn Bear Saw to finish up the cuts (it was my first time using the saw actually):
(video) https://twitter.com/freebsdfrau/status/1315039546556387328

(below image) One dog ear down, one to go.

Cut 4: (video) https://twitter.com/freebsdfrau/status/1315053232075370496

ASIDE: I was informed not to back up like that, so I don’t do that anymore ^_^

(below image) Result of cut 4

I took it upstairs to test out the fit, and it was exactly what I hoped for:
(video) https://twitter.com/freebsdfrau/status/1315069541408407552

Well that solved problem number 1. How were we going to solve problem number 2? Well, I took some 3/8” baltic birch ply that I had lying around and cut out some risers.

(below image) Being extra detailed and plotting the kerf went well for the above cuts, why not plot my cuts in the birch? Right down to the direction of the cut, lol

(below 2 images) I really get in there close and (with the battery out) lay a single tooth right on the kerf path so I know where to clamp my guides.


Then I made a the first cut which was laying the basis for multiple pieces to come out of as few cuts as possible:
(video) https://twitter.com/freebsdfrau/status/1315411688229793792

Here’s my process of setting the guide and inspecting the tooth path:
(video) https://twitter.com/freebsdfrau/status/1315415576513187840

(below image) How I set up before a cut.

Close up video of that specific cut where I lined up the tooth on the kerf path.
(video) https://twitter.com/freebsdfrau/status/1315419219366797312

ASIDE: Ugh, yes, there was more than one instance where I backed up before I was informed not to do that. I’m honest, it won’t happen again, both those videos were before I was informed ;D

(below image) Now we’ve got a couple good cuts.

Cut number 3 on the risers: (video) https://twitter.com/freebsdfrau/status/1315425947227574273

And the final cut: (video) https://twitter.com/freebsdfrau/status/1315436288779018240

(below 3 images) I used 3M Hi-Strength contact cement to adhere the risers to where the corbels support the shelf.



(below 3 images) Then added screws after an overnight cure (totally unnecessary, and I could have just screwed in at the time, but I didn’t want contact cement on my drill from piloting; now … if I had piloted before-hand, maybe!)



ASIDE: Shop dog!

I purposefully made the risers overhang by about 1/8” and went in with my trim router and routed them flush. I can’t recall, but I think I am using my solid carbide pilot bit (no bearing, just a pilot head):
(video) https://twitter.com/freebsdfrau/status/1315828375794020352

-- Devin, SF, CA



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com