LumberJocks

Making a Game for $5.00

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Deela40 updated 12-23-2009 07:37 PM 5 parts 34095 reads 14 comments total

Part 1: Starting Out

12-18-2009 02:54 AM by Deela40 | 4 comments »

The Bible study I am a part of is having a party for Christmas. Each person is supposed to bring one gift, spending no more than $5.00. I saw this as a challenge. $5.00 isn’t much and I wanted to offer something of higher value. Lucky for me, my wife recently brought home some free pieces of wood. She works at an art gallery and they were getting rid of some random things. She saw some wood they had used as plaques that were going to be tossed. As she is industrious and thoughtful,...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Starting to Take Shape

12-19-2009 04:07 AM by Deela40 | 3 comments »

Last night I was able to get the box all ready to put together. I cut the sides and the base each at a 45-degree angle. I also cut the sides at 45-degrees on the ends where they fit together. I am kicking myself for cutting the base and the sides like that as I think it is going to be hard to glue together. Are there any techniques to make it easier? After I got all the pieces cut, I sanded everything down. Here is what the box will look like when put together. I also sto...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Prepping the Tiles

12-20-2009 01:57 AM by Deela40 | 3 comments »

Last night I worked on getting the tiles cut up and prepped for painting the numbers. I decided to go with 12 tiles as opposed to 10. I wouldn’t have enough room to put the numbers on 10-12 if I made all the tiles the same size as they would bee to small to get two numbers on. I remedied this by making two different sizes. I made nine tiles sized (7/8 inch) for numbers 1-9 and three (1 9/16 inches) for numbers 10-12. After I finished all the measurements, I used my miter saw to make ...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Putting it Together

12-21-2009 06:25 PM by Deela40 | 0 comments »

To summarize for those of you are just joining this series, I needed to find a gift for $5.00 for a Christmas party. I thought it would be fun to see what I could make, using what I had and spending no more that $5.00 on anything else I needed. I decided to make the game Shut the Box. Thus far, I have spent $3.65. For a more details, check the other posts. The oil was dried from the previous nights application so next task was to get the numbering on the tiles. I used the 1-inch stenc...

Read this entry »


Part 5: The Finished Product - Shut the Box

12-23-2009 07:37 PM by Deela40 | 4 comments »

This blog series is about my task to find a gift for $5.00. I decided to make the game Shut the Box purchasing what I needed, spending no more than the $5.00 limit, along with using materials I already had. This is the final post in the series. As mentions in post #4, I had not planned on spraying the tiles with a clear finish. I decided to do this because I was afraid the numbers I had painted on would easily wear off. When I used the spray, I created a problem as it made the tiles ju...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com