LumberJocks

Creating the Morgan #5: The Wind Screen

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by DaveS2 posted 06-21-2022 04:58 PM 283 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: Spoked Wheels Part 5 of Creating the Morgan series Part 6: Finished Morgan - -Last blog in this series »

Of all the parts to be created, I found this part, the Wind Screen, to be the most tedious and, for me, the most difficult. I’m not sure why but I just couldn’t wrap my head around it. I watched and watched and watched Dutchy’s blog on this but still I was not sure how to proceed. I reached out to Dutchy, and fortunately for me, he was very willing to help out and offer insight and advice. I really want him to know how much I appreciate his help.

The first step is to study the plan for the wind screen on page 32 of the plan and get the orientation into your mind. Two base brackets, R and L must be made and each has its own tilt rearward. Also, there are no templates for the parts so I used the diagrams on Page 32 as my template. Fortunately, it prints at 1:1 size so that is a great help.

Mill the stock to the appropriate size. While I insured the thickness was correct, I allowed a bit extra for width and length to help make the sawing more manageable. Remember that although the thickness is 17mm, you will end up with a part that is only 4mm thick, after the final diagonal cut is made.

I use painters tape and spray adhesive to attach the templates for cutting.


The base parts after they are made on the scroll saw. they are put back together with double side tape for the next step.

Here is where I floundered on this fabrication. I just could not get it straight in my mind how the diagonals were to be cut for each piece. The diagram on Page 32 is on but it just wasn’t exactly spot on. Dutchy’s advice was to actually mark the diagonals using the measurements shown on the diagram and that is what I did. Also after you cut one of the pieces, it is clear how to proceed with the other side.

With cuts completed, all that remains is to do a bit of sanding, fitting, and creating the top cross bar piece.

It really wasn’t as hard as I was making it out to be, but the spacial recognition just escaped me. Dutchy came to the rescue.

The windscreen is done and is attached to the the body. I am moving forward to finishing this up before I leave on a trip to watch my granddaughter graduate from High School in New York.

regards,
Dave

-- DaveS2, Canton GA aka pdwoodwerkz



3 comments so far

View Dutchy's profile

Dutchy

4397 posts in 3660 days


#1 posted 06-21-2022 05:20 PM

Now you need some windscreen wipers.

-- https://dutchypatterns.com/

View crowie's profile

crowie

5521 posts in 3443 days


#2 posted 06-22-2022 09:18 AM

Very nicely made sir.

-- Lifes good, Enjoy each new day...... Cheers from "On Top DownUnder" Crowie

View Eric's profile

Eric

5738 posts in 1365 days


#3 posted 06-22-2022 10:46 AM

Looks like you nailed it Dave, that is great and we’ll done. Safe travels.

-- Eric, building the dream. the "Loft"

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com