LumberJocks

Painted poplar picture frame

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Dave Polaschek updated 06-26-2021 05:17 PM 5 parts 3701 reads 34 comments total

Part 1: making the profile

06-23-2021 04:44 PM by Dave Polaschek | 4 comments »

I needed to make a picture frame for some art my sweetie found. These are the steps along the way. The frame needed to have a 9 inch square piece of glass (the art is 7.5×7.75 inches). So I started with a 4 foot long stick of poplar I ripped off the edge of a 3/4×8 inch board. I made it about an inch wide. I clamped it in my face vise and hit it with the #7 jointer plane to get a straight square edge on the surface I had cut. After setting it on my sticking board, I put a 6...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Mitered corners and glue up

06-23-2021 04:52 PM by Dave Polaschek | 0 comments »

Next up was cutting the stick into lengths for the frame, mitering the corners, and gluing it up. First cutting to length. I cut the first 45 using a cheap miter box. Then I got the end more exact using a shooting board and shooting board plane. Then I measured along the rabbet 9 inches and drew a 45 to mark where the next cut had to be. Lather, rinse, repeat until I had four sides of a frame. Glue them and clamp them up until tomorrow.

Read this entry »


Part 3: Reinforcing the miters and painting

06-23-2021 05:14 PM by Dave Polaschek | 13 comments »

First, since I’m using milk paint, I mixed 15ml of powder and water to make 30ml in a measuring cup. Every time I took a break, I give it a stir. After about an hour, it’s ready to go. To reinforce the corners, I chucked a modified spade bit (I ground off the central spur so it won’t poke through a piece I’m putting a shallow hole in, but it’s really only safe in a drill press or post drill this way) in my post drill. I clamped down the frame and drilled a shallow (<⅛ inc...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Finishing, day 2

06-24-2021 04:08 PM by Dave Polaschek | 6 comments »

I started today by paring off the dowels I used to reinforce the miters. A flush-cut saw, a chisel, and a sanding block with 60 grit on it did the job. I held the frame in my carving table. Next was using a piece of 180 grit to knock down any drips in the milk paint. A light touch is required so I don’t sand through the paint, but my sweetie thinks she might like a distressed look, so I may come back with some 400 grit wet-dry paper and intentionally take a little more paint off. ...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Wrapping it up

06-26-2021 05:17 PM by Dave Polaschek | 11 comments »

I’m a little short on pictures today. I cleaned up the glass, put a coat of shellac on the frame, cut the mat, and then noticed there was dust on everything so I went back and did it again. After a few rounds of this, I just plowed ahead, not taking time for a lot of photos, and wrapped the frame up. So, the steps… The glass I use for framing is Tru-Vue Museum Glass. First up was cutting the glass. I’ve heard folks have trouble with this, but I’ve had pretty good luck. I have a T...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com