LumberJocks

Baby bow saw

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Dave Polaschek updated 01-02-2021 08:38 PM 6 parts 3799 reads 64 comments total

Part 1: First day’s construction

12-26-2020 06:54 PM by Dave Polaschek | 8 comments »

I decided I don’t like the metal-frame coping saws. I find that the far end of the saw will often twist when I don’t want it to, and I’ll end up cutting a curve when I don’t want to, or cutting a straight line when I want a curve. So I decided I’d make a bow saw that uses the standard coping saw blades to complement my bigger turning saws ( 1 and 2). First I cut the arms out of a piece of citrus I got from AZWoody a couple years back. Then I drilled holes in the arms for the pins (from Gra...

Read this entry »


Part 2: More shaping

12-26-2020 10:31 PM by Dave Polaschek | 14 comments »

This afternoon was spent shaping the cross-piece and the arms. First up, taking a spokeshave to the cross piece to thin it slightly in the middle, and make the ends match the arms nicely. It’s not going to be a huge taper, but just a little bit looks a lot better than none. Plus I get to smooth out the surface now. I don’t think I’ll be doing any sanding on this saw, so I want to fix any little spots of tear-out from cutting and planing the pieces. Then I used the spokeshave an...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Wrapping it up

12-27-2020 09:37 PM by Dave Polaschek | 11 comments »

I got the bow saw completed today. I still want to decorate it, but it’s together and functional now. First on today’s menu was getting the arms shaped. They don’t really need to be thinner, but making them a little thinner will make the saw more comfortable to use. I used a drawknife to get the other dimension thinned down and smoothed. With that done, I mixed up some epoxy and glued the pins into the handles. Then some quick chamfering on the corners of the arms, mostly...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Cleaning up the surfaces

12-29-2020 02:56 AM by Dave Polaschek | 6 comments »

I decided I didn’t like the little spots of tear-out and places where the grain left me with a rippled surface, so I spent an hour today going after the pieces of the saw with a card scraper. I also cleaned up the shoulder on one of the tenons on the cross-piece. That makes the arms of the saw sit more in-line with each other so the saw blade won’t be stressed more than it needs to be. The citrus looks a nice yellow with the tung oil on it, but I’ve decided the frame of this saw...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Test run

12-29-2020 05:18 PM by Dave Polaschek | 17 comments »

So at the urging of a few people who wanted to know how the saw would cut, I put it together this morning and cut a curve in some ¾ pine. Nothing tricky, but the kind of thing I end up doing a lot. I put in a new Pegas Coping Skip 6.5” 18tpi blade, and tightened it up. I took it to about an A#, just above A440Hz. That’s an octave below the tension I normally have in the metal-framed coping saw, but it feels more solid. I’ll tighten it up further after I re-tie the string a little tight...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Kolrosing

01-02-2021 08:38 PM by Dave Polaschek | 8 comments »

Once the saw was “done” I still wasn’t quite happy with it. I decided it needed decoration. With the light yellow of the citrus wood, the dark brown of coffee grounds made a very pretty contrast. Kolrosing (or kohlrosing) it is! I decided to do a more linear pattern on one side, and a more curvy, or floral pattern on the other, mostly to get more experience and figure out what I like better. I started with the lines. That was yesterday morning. This morning, I made curves. In...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com