Twin screw vise

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Dave Polaschek updated 06-24-2018 02:20 PM 8 parts 13599 reads 70 comments total

Part 1: The front chop

11-23-2017 05:20 PM by Dave Polaschek | 9 comments »

This winter I want to start cutting dovetails, doing a dovetail a day for a month to build my skills. In preparation for that, I’m adding a twin-screw vise to my bench, using the Veritas mechanism. I’m planning to make the jaws three feet wide, with a full 24 inches (minus a little) between the screws, so I can also use this vise to hold wood I’m resawing with my frame saw. Since the front chop is going to be the most visible bit (even though a lot of it will be covered b...

Read this entry »

Part 2: Rear chop and thinking

11-25-2017 04:02 PM by Dave Polaschek | 13 comments »

Having the front chop done-ish, it was time to move onto the rear chop. It was less tapered than the front one, so just a few swipes of the plane took off the 3/32” or so that was needed to get it square along the long sides. But the ends were more angled, and since I wasn’t rounding them off like I’d done with the front chop, I wanted to get them nice and square, so out comes the shooting board. Once everything was square all around, I used a spokeshave to bre...

Read this entry »

Part 3: Mounting details

11-28-2017 07:12 PM by Dave Polaschek | 2 comments »

I’ve been thinking about the problem of how I’m going to mount the vise to the bench. Specifically, there’s no good way to get behind the apron of my bench to screw in the nuts for the vise. And I can’t just mount the rear jaw straight onto the apron with the nuts in between. So, I cut a piece of ¾” pine to the same size as the rear jaw of the vise. I’ll notch in spots for the nuts, and screw them into the rear jaw of the vise, sandwich on the...

Read this entry »

Part 4: Everything but the holes

12-04-2017 06:08 PM by Dave Polaschek | 15 comments »

I’ve been working on getting everything prepped for installing my vise, and I think I’m running out of things to do. Looks like I might have to drill the holes for it this afternoon if my back behaves. I’ve removed the planing stop from my bench. It was going to be in the way of the vise. I also filled the holes where it had been with walnut dowels and planed them smooth. I’ll reinstall it once the vise is in and I figure out where it needs to be. I’ve ...

Read this entry »

Part 5: Boring the holes

12-06-2017 05:56 PM by Dave Polaschek | 9 comments »

In the previous post, I left off just before drilling the two main holes for the vise screws. Yesterday I did those. Based on feedback from some fellow Lumberjocks, I used my expanding spade bit to start the holes, as it has a nice sharp spur and produces a clean edge. Then I used the old T-handle auger bit I bought off eBay and cleaned up, which has no spurs (it’s designed for drilling holes for timber-framing, so I suspect a slightly ragged hole wasn’t a worry). I built a jig...

Read this entry »

Part 6: Both jaws on

12-09-2017 08:14 PM by Dave Polaschek | 4 comments »

Since last time, I finished drilling the 3/8” holes to mount the rear vise jaw to the bench. I bolted the jaw on, then put in the vise hardware with the front jaw to make sure everything lined up. The one departure from plan is that the 5” bolts supplied with the vise were long enough that I needed a little more wood behind the bench apron to hold the nuts. They’re designed to live inside the bench top, and I had initially planned to put a 2×4 behind the apron to...

Read this entry »

Part 7: Getting it working

12-10-2017 07:37 PM by Dave Polaschek | 6 comments »

I’m a little light on pictures in this post, as I got excited that I was almost done, and didn’t want to stop to take pictures as I went. Sorry in advance for that. When I left off in the previous post, the dowels that will hold long pieces off the vise screws were binding and wouldn’t allow the jaws to close. So my first order of business was to open up the holes in the front chop a little with a tapered reamer. I did that slowly, sneaking up on the fit, repeatedl...

Read this entry »

Part 8: Cork jaw liner

06-24-2018 02:20 PM by Dave Polaschek | 12 comments »

This morning I finally got the cork shelf liner installed in the vise, so I guess it’s officially done now.

Read this entry »

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics