LumberJocks

Building a Box Cello

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Dave Rutan updated 03-10-2020 06:35 PM 7 parts 4054 reads 23 comments total

Part 1: Building the box

03-08-2020 11:57 PM by Dave Rutan | 8 comments »

I should have the project post up in a week or so. In the meantime here’s the process of the build. Gluing up a few boards to make the back. These are actually poplar drawer fronts. Putting the box together. The sides are poplar drawer sides (I think.) The two narrow ends are oak. Gluing the back onto the box.

Read this entry »


Part 2: End blocks and bass bar

03-09-2020 11:34 AM by Dave Rutan | 0 comments »

Installing the end blocks to support the end pin and the neck. Installing the bass bar. I made the clamps some time ago. It was gratifying to actually use them. Planing away some of the bass bar to lighten it and make it look nice.

Read this entry »


Part 3: Holes and pin

03-10-2020 01:13 PM by Dave Rutan | 4 comments »

Cutting the F or sound holes. Fitting the end pin.

Read this entry »


Part 4: Saddle

03-10-2020 02:21 PM by Dave Rutan | 0 comments »

Cutting the saddle from a piece of cherry. The saddle supports the tailpiece ligature. Cutting the top to install the saddle.

Read this entry »


Part 5: Neck and scroll

03-10-2020 04:12 PM by Dave Rutan | 2 comments »

I ordered a cello neck from a seller in China. After two and a half months it still hadn’t arrived, so I broke down and carved one myself. I will say that white oak is a splintery wood to carve.

Read this entry »


Part 6: Fingerboard and nut

03-10-2020 05:12 PM by Dave Rutan | 3 comments »

I did not make this fingerboard, though I have made a cello fingerboard in the past. This one looks to be mahogany. I scraped the black paint off of it and treated it with boiled linseed oil. It looks great. I glued it to the neck for final fitting. Then i glued a cherry nut blank onto the end and roughed out the nut. These both get removed for final finishing if the instrument.

Read this entry »


Part 7: Pegs and waiting for finish

03-10-2020 06:35 PM by Dave Rutan | 6 comments »

I reamed the pegbox for the tuning pegs. And removed the fingerboard and nut and took it home for the finish. Up next is the project post whict is right here (link)

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com