LumberJocks

Building the Spine Desk

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Dave Rutan updated 02-17-2016 01:54 AM 5 parts 7422 reads 17 comments total

Part 1: Cutting and Gluing

02-03-2016 03:50 PM by Dave Rutan | 6 comments »

I’ve set out to build a desk that I saw online. In this case much of the work has been done for me because the website where the desk is sold actually lists the dimensions of the parts. That said, I’m making a few small changes. I’m not revealing my target until it’s done, so stick around to see where we end up. [Below] It’s just possible that this project could be made from a quarter sheet of plywood. I’m not sure yet, plus I’ve already violated ...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Fail, Save, and Failed Save!

02-05-2016 08:48 PM by Dave Rutan | 2 comments »

[Above] I decided I should make the brackets next since they need to hold the tables to the spine (Confused yet?) So I taped the two sides together and cut them on the band saw. If you saw my recent tip you’ll know why they ended up a little more free-form than I planned. [Below] Then I sanded them to uniformity on the drill press. There are two sets, one longer than the other. [Below] After breaking the bracket sets apart, I cut a dado in them to add some strength. First I ...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Two Steps Forward, One Step Back...

02-08-2016 10:20 PM by Dave Rutan | 0 comments »

[Above] Here’s the fix for the bracket size problem. There’s so much glue surface on it that I’m confident it would hold. But… [Below] When I put it on the spine, I discovered that I hadn’t thought far enough ahead in my fix. The side pieces are not long enough to cover the spine segment completely. To be exact, they are 3/4 inches too short=the thickness of a spine segment. :( [Below] So I’ll dig out that scrap piece of very similar plywood ...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Now That's Better!

02-09-2016 09:56 PM by Dave Rutan | 2 comments »

[Above] After having some special alone time with my band saw, I cut out the new pieces for the brackets. Before removing the tape, I broke out my new friend and sanded the curved edges. [Below] Breaking the tape shows the dadoes I made on the pieces. This time they came out perfect! The pieces fit together pretty tight. [Below] So I glued them together and clamped them. [Below] So now it’s just a matter of drilling, sanding, assembling and a little more cutting.

Read this entry »


Part 5: Final Work and Assembly

02-17-2016 01:54 AM by Dave Rutan | 7 comments »

[Above] I used an actual bracket assembly to locate the holes in the spine segments. These allow a bolt to keep the tables from falling out from the spine. [Below] The larger table showing the rear cut out and the pine edging. I chamfered the bottom edge of both tables to give them a lighter, tray-like appearance. [Below] A few coats of spray lacquer is all that’s needed. I decided not to go to the trouble of staining this project. The birch plywood looks nice against the pi...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com