LumberJocks

Strat Style Guitar

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by DanMelander updated 10-02-2016 02:52 AM 7 parts 7630 reads 17 comments total

Part 1: Project Start

08-01-2016 01:23 AM by DanMelander | 2 comments »

I started taking guitar lessons last year. My instrument is a Classical Style Acoustic guitar. I chose a classical guitar because it has a 2” nut, which is perfect for my big fat fingers. After a while, I became interested in electric guitars also. Electric guitars have much smaller string spacing, which made it difficult for me to play. Big Lou Guitars makes a Strat Style electric guitar with a 1 7/8” nut, and they also sell necks with 1 7/8” and 2” nuts. I deci...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Finish Routing and Fitting the Parts

08-01-2016 09:32 PM by DanMelander | 4 comments »

Routed the pickup cavities to 5/8”. Now on to routing the controls pocket to 1 3/8” Checking the alignment of the neck and tremolo. After rounding over the edges with a 1/2” round over router bit, I mounted all the various parts. Some minor adjustments in the pick guard were needed to accommodate the Big Lou wide nut neck. Mounted the trem claw and cover. Next two tasks are shaping the body and final sanding before applying a finish.

Read this entry »


Part 3: Shaping the Body

08-11-2016 09:47 PM by DanMelander | 2 comments »

The next step was to shape the hand rest. I started out marking some reference lines in pencil and using a rasp to remove most of the wood. Next I made a 5” x 10” sanding block to work down the wood to the final shape. Not looking too bad so far! Now on to the back contour. I built a jig to use with the spindle sander. On to the spindle sander to work the contour. After 2 hours on the spindle sander, just about done. I used the spindle dru...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Finish part 1

08-12-2016 08:04 PM by DanMelander | 3 comments »

Final sanding is done and the body is read for finish. I first de-waxed the shellac, and then applied four coats by hand. This photo is after the first coat. I put the parts together to have a look-see what the final guitar might look like. Now I’ll wait a while for the shellac to harden and then apply may coats of wipe on poly.

Read this entry »


Part 5: Finish Part 2 and Assebly

09-16-2016 02:15 AM by DanMelander | 2 comments »

I attached a board to be able to hang the guitar body after applying wipe-on poly. I ended up putting on nine coats of poly, sanding after every few coats. (Sorry for the sideways photo) The next step was to apply the coper shielding. I purchased a shielding kit from Stew Mac. I ended up soldering the copper foil pieces together, as recommended by various guitar sites. I checked the continuity of the foil before soldering, and all was fine, so I wonder of soldering was neces...

Read this entry »


Part 6: What a buzz kill!

10-02-2016 02:49 AM by DanMelander | 1 comment »

I decided to sheild the pickups to eliminate more buzz and hum. Here is a photo of one of the pickups with it’s cover removed. I wrapped each coil with copper foil and replaced the wiring with 2-wire sheilded cable. Connected the shield to the copper foil and ran all the pickup grounds and shields to a common ground on the volume pot. Forgot to take a photo of the completed wiring. Shielding the pickups helpd a lot.

Read this entry »


Part 7: Completed Guitar

10-02-2016 02:52 AM by DanMelander | 3 comments »

Finally completed the guitar. Here are some photos.

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com