LumberJocks

DMC1903's Favorites

  • Advertise with us
View builtinbkyn's profile

New Shop in the Raw #8: Making a Functional Workbench

01-18-2016 06:33 PM by builtinbkyn | 41 comments »

One of my goals in renting the space for a shop is to build all of my shop fixtures in anticipation of moving them to my own permanent shop in a future home where I’ll have the dedicated space for one. I cannot make a move now as my folks are elderly and in need assistance at this point. However, renting the space for this shop has offered me some time away from the stresses that unfortunately accompany the aforementioned. I come here and tune out other issues until I return home. R...

Read this entry »


View SouthpawCA's profile

Fireplace Wall #1: Popping the Grain in Black Walnut

01-14-2010 03:16 AM by SouthpawCA | 5 comments »

I was trying to find a good article/link about popping the grain in black walnut but didn’t find one that really explained it for me. There are many articles/links dealing with maple though. As luck would have it, our woodworkers club in association with the local adult education was going to host a few classes on finishing. These classes were mainly dealing with “old school” finishing techniques including French polish. Although not actually going all the way through th...

Read this entry »


View gizmodyne's profile

Cabinet Progress #18: Organizing the Disaster

02-08-2009 12:13 AM by gizmodyne | 6 comments »

So the doors were on, but what a fright inside. I made the shelves out of vertical grain fir plywood …. with edge glued lips of solid fir.I read once that leaving the fronts thicker adds strength to the shelf. My new Rockler pin jig in action Antique brass shelf pins…. Shelves installed. The top is only 12” wide. Finish: Shellac and poly. So much better. Wife is happy. Next time… The upper cabinet door repairs. Cheers!

Read this entry »


View Cory's profile

Evolution of a Shop #28: New Cross Cut Sled

02-29-2012 02:57 PM by Cory | 5 comments »

There have been a few cross cut sleds posted recently and it motivated me to replace mine. The original was a little small and a little heavy. My max capacity was about 14”. I used maple and cherry for the fences, which looked nice, but weighed too much. A few other lessons learned gave way to Version 2.0: Overall size is 24” x 36”, quite a bit larger than my previous sled. Capacity on this sled is 21”. Base is 1/2” birch ply. The rear fence feature...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com