LumberJocks

Built-In Ironing Board Cabinet

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Chuck McIntyre updated 09-07-2015 11:46 PM 5 parts 5172 reads 2 comments total

Part 1: Rabbets, dadoes and countersunk screw holes

07-08-2015 10:48 PM by Chuck McIntyre | 0 comments »

Not a lot accomplished on the ironing board cabinet this week. I managed to get the panels stained and 4 applications of wiping varnish (3 parts poly to 1 part mineral spirits) done over the weekend. Between coats of wiping varnish each piece was lightly sanded with 400 grit. They are smooth as glass! After getting through the finishing I got the rabbets cut in the top and bottom panels to accept the sides as well as dadoes to accept the divider. I also got dadoes cut in the right side pan...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Cabinet Assembled

07-22-2015 04:04 AM by Chuck McIntyre | 2 comments »

I kind of got away from the blog for a while. Mostly because I haven’t seemed to have had a lot of time to spend in the shop. I got the panels glued up this past weekend. Got the divider and shelves installed as well as the back. This cabinet project is my first attempt at making raised panel doors. I got the rails and stiles cut and the panels run through the router. I have a Triton 3.25 hp router mounted in a table. The Triton cut through that cherry like nobody’s business. D...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Raised Panel Door Fabrication

09-03-2015 01:48 AM by Chuck McIntyre | 0 comments »

It has been a while since there has been an update on this cabinet. I have gotten a little side-tracked with other projects. I will be working on a torsion box assembly / outfeed table this weekend. As you can see in the pictures, I don’t have a space big enough to put this door together. I am using a Freud raised panel bit set to make these doors. It is my first attempt at raised panel doors. All the pictures were taken during dry fitting. In the first picture you can see the rails ...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Door Success!

09-03-2015 02:56 PM by Chuck McIntyre | 0 comments »

Got up this morning eager to test my theory on what was going wrong with my door. Just as I had thought last night, I wasn’t going deep enough into the bit. Moved the fence back to line up with the nut above the bearing and, BAM, it went together like a champ!

Read this entry »


Part 5: Door Finished

09-07-2015 11:46 PM by Chuck McIntyre | 0 comments »

I have spent some time this weekend getting the door finished. I used a Zar stain that Sherwin Williams custom mixed for me to match a sink base I had bought for a bathroom remodel. I then applied three coats of General Finishes satin Arm-R-Seal. Sanded between coats with 400 grit. I pre-drilled the left stile for three hinges as the door is 49-3/4” tall. If everything goes as planned, I should be able to get it installed tomorrow.

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com