My New Woodshop - A Work in Progress #2: Near Ruin - Calling it a day

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Kurt T. Kneller posted 11-01-2015 09:20 PM 1832 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Current Status Part 2 of My New Woodshop - A Work in Progress series Part 3: Victory - Router Table Finished »

I have been in the process of building a router table as this years last major item for my shop. I have spent a lot of time on to make it how I wanted. I am pretty happy with and it looks good. So nearing the finish line I have been working the top for the past couple of days. The top consistist of 2 layers of MDF that were nice an flat, so much so that I could not slide my thinnest feeler gauge underneath my Woodpeckers straight edge, except for one corner. Nothing to be concerned about. I spent yesterday fitting the top with some red oak trim, everything went fine. Glue up did get a little hairy but in the end everything worked out. So today I was planning to flush trim the red oak trim and get the final prep done for laminating. The top was rather large and roomy so I decided to build some supports that would clamp to the top and allow it to stand up on end to make it easier to flush trim the oak. They worked out great and made some room in my scrap bin. Now here is the day took a turn. I started trimming the oak flush to the top, on the second edge I felt a shift in the router and immediately shut it done to inspect. Well, I saw a divot the trim, DAMN, then I looked at the bit. The frickin bearing came of of the new CMT bit. It looks like the screw is stripped. OK, off to Woodcraft, 30 miles one way. Picked a new Freud bit and went back at it. Then the next turn.
As I was routing, the oak split. So much so it was to the point of no return. The trim was 3/4” thick and the offset from the mdf was no more than a 1/4” and it was edge grain. I have never had this happen before. So I had to figure out how to save the panel. It required using my jigsaw to cut kerfs in the trim on either sides of the few brads that were used, then using a chisel to remove the material and then pliers to remove the brads. Then it was of to the table saw to trim and true the panel. Finally, the panel is saved. At this point, I am planning to just laminate the edges, still I wish for wood trim, oh well it is shop furniture and function overtakes form. I am lucky that I was going a little large on the top, which in turn left enough meat to trim and still have a generous amount of table top space. Needless to say after the frustration, I decided to call it a day. Tomorrow is a new day!

-- Start with ten, end with ten.......

3 comments so far

View WoodNSawdust's profile


1417 posts in 1947 days

#1 posted 11-01-2015 09:32 PM

Sorry to hear of your misfortunes. Yes tomorrow will be a better day.

-- "I love it when a plan comes together" John "Hannibal" Smith

View stefang's profile


17039 posts in 4105 days

#2 posted 11-02-2015 02:50 PM

It happens. Your blog would be so much more interesting with photos.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View Kurt T. Kneller's profile

Kurt T. Kneller

126 posts in 2135 days

#3 posted 11-02-2015 10:55 PM

It happens. Your blog would be so much more interesting with photos.

- stefang

I know. I’ll be posting pictures of the shop hopefully later this week. I keep forgetting to post them

-- Start with ten, end with ten.......

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics