Sapele & Cherry Kitchen Table #4: Table top finally glued together

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by CaptainKlutz posted 06-02-2014 10:07 AM 4637 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Interuptions make for slow progress.... Part 4 of Sapele & Cherry Kitchen Table series Part 5: Hand planes and shavings »

So, if you’re reading along, you know I have some so-so 2X4’s acclimating in my shop, that I have to turn into clamp cauls, so I can hopefully glue my table top together.

Let the boards sit in the shop on stickers for 5 days to acclimate hoping they recover some. The twist and bow issues are reduced by half, but still makes for more work than I wanted.

It’s summer in Arizona now, my open air garage shop was 100-105 last two afternoons. So I can only get a couple of hours work done in the AM before it gets to hot to think.

So yesterday I make 4 sets of 48” long cauls. First, edge and face jointed the 2X4’s. Second, Parallel cut on table saw, and plane flat to remove cupping/twist. Third, use the jack plane to shape a gentle curve 1/4” high from end to middle. Ok, call it a day.

Head out to shop today, and find cauls are warped and cupped. :( Two have bowed so far, that the 1/4” bow caul is now only 1/16”. To disgusted to take pictures, almost had a Douglas fir bonfire truthfully.

Here we go again, Edge and face jointed the 2X4’s. Parallel cut on table saw, plane flat to remove twist/cupping, and then plane to shape the curves AGAIN. It’s now 1pm and about 103 in the shop, wait another day? NO!

So, grabbed more water, and glued the two halves together.

Even Titebond II extend barely had enough open time in the hot temperatures, but managed to get it done.
Come inside, type a blog entry on caul disaster (but forget to publish it), and rehydrate.

After about 4 hours, the sun is setting, and it’s only 97 now. Back outside to remove the clamps, scrap the glue joints, and admire the Caption Klutz created waffle table top. Get out the jack plane and take few swipes to see how much work it is going to take to get the top flattened. Yep, it’s got a waffle texture, and one half has a board that glued in 3/32” high.

Don’t want to get too carried away with flattening. I used biscuits to assist with alignment, I need to give it 24 hours or more for the biscuit pockets to fully dry. I find that the new joint is not bad, but one half that was glued 2 weeks ago is begging for some flattening. Invigorated by progress and the Sapele grain, I decide work up another sweat flattening the bottom a little.
I don’t have a scrub plane. The #4 & #5 didn’t have the mass to push thru very well; So got out my 5 1/2 with a sharp A2 Pinnacle blade, set it for thicker scrub cut across the grain, and started the process.

Sorry the pictures are fuzzy. The table top is 39”X108” and I have to hold the camera over my head to get the whole table in the picture.

Still lots more work to do. Flattening, trim ends, decide on edge shape, finalize the finish plan, etc; but those are other blog entries.

Thanks for reading.

-- If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all, Doom, despair, agony on me… - Albert King - Born Under a Bad Sign released 1967

1 comment so far

View Monte Pittman's profile

Monte Pittman

30651 posts in 3618 days

#1 posted 06-02-2014 02:02 PM

It’s going to be a beautiful table.

-- Nature created it, I just assemble it.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics