LumberJocks

Fibonacci Mosaic box

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by BritBoxmaker updated 10-05-2013 12:26 PM 6 parts 16765 reads 49 comments total

Part 1: Design and piece cutting

09-15-2013 03:32 PM by BritBoxmaker | 14 comments »

This is a real-time blog, that is I am blogging as I am working on the project. As it is my own design I respectfully request that anyone wishing to copy it waits until I have posted the finished project. I’ve made this design using part of the Fibonacci series of numbers; that is specifically 1,2,3,5,8, as proportions for the parts of this mosaic box. It’s going to be an EZ Mitre box so here is the plan for the initial board Starting at 1 for the diameter of the centra...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Pattern glue-up and ideas for experimentation

09-21-2013 04:49 PM by BritBoxmaker | 8 comments »

I left you with this All the pattern pieces neatly laid out. Now to get them glued down to make a board. The first thing I did was make a black and white outline print of the design. Taped it to my cutting mat and taped some clear library film (sticky side up) over the print. This allows me to build up a fixed pattern which can be glued to a board in one go. Here’s a couple of shots of the progress outer and some of the next ring (Yew) pieces stuck down to the film from th...

Read this entry »


Part 3: The best laid plans of mice and men

09-22-2013 03:58 PM by BritBoxmaker | 9 comments »

often go awry. I had decided to experiment with the resin grout idea. There were things I was concerned about. Would the resin be soaked up by wood end grain?Would there be air bubbles?How easy would it be to lay the ‘grout in?Would I get the mix right (resin to hardener to pigment)? To this end I made two patterns to experiment with I masking taped around their edges so that the resin wouldn’t escape I was ready for the resin. First problem. I’ve had ...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Just what I always wanted

09-23-2013 08:01 PM by BritBoxmaker | 9 comments »

I went into the shop tonight. The little piece of the toffee-like stuff I had cut off of the remains in the tub was significantly harder. Hard enough to take the trial pieces through the drum sander. Sucessfully, so I took the pattern through as well This is a rough sand and the resin is probably not fully cured yet so some colour bleed, particularly from the Bloodwood. No matter. There are some voids left by bubbles. I’ll fill these, tomorrow, then fine sand when the resi...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Further grouting experiments

09-30-2013 11:12 AM by BritBoxmaker | 4 comments »

It only just occurred to me that the store I work in sells this According to the data sheet it is a blend of Acrylic polymers and selected fillers, it can take sanding and finishes and it has a shelf life of a year. Its also white and only costs £2 a tube (a lot cheaper than Acrylic resin + pigment). Being ready to apply there is no messy mixing. I already have a gun for applying it The pre-cut tip of the dispensing nozzle has a 3 mm aperture, just about right. I may ...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Results of caulk experiment

10-05-2013 12:26 PM by BritBoxmaker | 5 comments »

Firstly it occurred to me that although I needed a pattern to experiment that it didn’t need to be fancy. To this end I took a scrap of MDF and cut 2 mm slots in it using the table saw blade set low. Applying the caulk using the gun and fine nozzle was like trying to pass an elephant. Slow and painful. So I decided to use a putty knife to apply it. This stuff cures by losing water so I expected some shrinkage and because of that didn’t level it off completely. ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com