LumberJocks

I have a little vise

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by BritBoxmaker updated 07-11-2015 12:37 PM 6 parts 11993 reads 45 comments total

Part 1: Intro

06-28-2015 11:56 AM by BritBoxmaker | 12 comments »

Recently I helped my friend, Laurie, set up a lathe and workbench in her shed/ workshop. For my pains (which weren’t that great, I thoroughly enjoyed it) she gave me this bench vise It’s going to need some restoring. Rest assured though I won’t just be admiring it when it’s restored. This vise will get some use. Although it’s a metalwork vise I do use metals in my projects. Such as the hinge pins for Snakes and Ladders. The jaws need some ser...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Strip down

06-29-2015 05:17 PM by BritBoxmaker | 4 comments »

First thing to do is strip this little beauty down to its component parts. The bolts out of the jaw that fell off. One mounting hole is clear in the vise body and the other contains the other half of the sheared jaw bolt That will need a little persuading out, later. The rotating base comes next My rotating base seems superior to the one I found a picture of in that it is two piece allowing a full 360 degree rotation of the vise. Next comes the separation o...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Getting pickled

06-29-2015 07:30 PM by BritBoxmaker | 7 comments »

I really have cracked on today. A lot more done, or started, than I thought I would. So to clean all the parts. Following some advice from, Roger Bean, I’m trying pickling the parts in white vinegar. In a bucket Small parts first. This is left to pickle for two hours or so and then scrubbed with a brass wire brush.All the loose crud came off easily. The working surfaces came up like new and the rough cast was fine.I gave the whole lot a rinse in warm water and a dry. ...

Read this entry »


Part 4: It gets worse before it gets better

06-30-2015 08:15 PM by BritBoxmaker | 6 comments »

Well the large parts came out of the vinegar OK. The main casting cleaned of rather easily and ( Arlin, you might be interested) the paint was untouched. The paintwork is of course chipped and worn. It need removing and a new finish applied. To this end I used some of this It’s a paint stripper. Nasty stuff. If you use it wear eye protection, gloves etc. If it can soften up the sort of paint used on this vise just imagine what it can do to skin. You dab...

Read this entry »


Part 5: The big cover up

07-04-2015 12:28 PM by BritBoxmaker | 8 comments »

There have been a few days off whilst I’ve been ill with diarrhoea (British spelling). Well the world has stopped falling out of my bottom so some progress has been made. This is the worst of the last images I left you with. However after a second coat of stripper on the stubborn parts and with some help from a hand wire brush and a wire wheel in my hand drill the results are none too shabby. Just in case you are wondering I am really not worried about the name plate and t...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Los Endos

07-11-2015 12:37 PM by BritBoxmaker | 8 comments »

Well it’s been a week and the paint, as they say where I come from, is well ‘ard. Hard enough to complete the job. First thing is that whilst the sliding carriage will fit into the main casting the jaws won’t fully close up Traced this problem to burrs on the sliding carriage, both sides, here shown cleaned up (with a file) It now slides all the way home Next to install the threaded end stop Whilst the thread for the stop, in the base of the c...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com