Keela's Urn Box #5: Hinges and Finger Lift

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by BrettLuna posted 05-12-2021 09:35 PM 418 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: The Tray (Updated) Part 5 of Keela's Urn Box series no next part

Here’s where I had to deal with the consequences of cutting the lid’s curved profile, before freeing the lid from the box body. You can’t mortise hinges on a rocking horse…not sanely, anyway. I had a waste piece left over from cutting the box body down to size, so I traced the lid profile onto it, cut it, sanded it, and stuck it to the lid with double-faced tape.

That did the trick and I was off and on a roll. So much so, that I didn’t take pictures of some steps, like making an MDF router template for the hinges, squaring them up with a chisel, or making the finger lift or its open mortise, etc. But here we are, with the first test fit of the hinges.

After tweaking them a bit I wrapped up the final sanding to finish. I started with a couple-few coats of clear rattle can shellac, sanded between coats, followed by about as many coat of Deft satin spray lacquer. A coat of paste wax and I called it done.

-- Brett — Peters Creek, Alaska

0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics