LumberJocks

Gum Entry Table

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by BlueRidgeDog updated 06-10-2021 01:55 PM 5 parts 3161 reads 21 comments total

Part 1: Dry Fit...and all up until this point

05-28-2021 05:30 PM by BlueRidgeDog | 4 comments »

This wood has such an interesting grain that I was going to post an image of it, but I figured I would just throw the images of the steps to this point in a blog entry. Here is the dry fit, without the top cut to final form or the shelves: And another: I started by milling up a bunch of stock from some very curvy boards: I glued up the face, cut 16 tenons and mortises and tapered the legs after cutting everything to final size: I did glue up some stock to make t...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Carcass Glue up and drawer front choices

06-02-2021 09:08 PM by BlueRidgeDog | 5 comments »

So I glued the carcass up in two steps and now am on to the drawers. I milled up two options for drawer faces. What to you think? Set A: Set B: I am leaning towards A since it is similar grain as the rest, but B has some amazing variation. the rejected one will be the back.

Read this entry »


Part 3: Drawers and top rough in

06-05-2021 11:42 PM by BlueRidgeDog | 4 comments »

Drawers made and glued, but not fitted of finished, top roughed in. Starting to look like something. I wish I had gone with three tails, but the two are growing on me. The drawer is so short, I never thought of going three (though I do half blind 99% of the time). I have not touched my hand saw in months, so the first two dovetails were gappy, but muscle memory kicked in after that. Nothing that my filler made from saw dust and shellac can’t handle.

Read this entry »


Part 4: Ready for final sanding and finish

06-07-2021 03:51 PM by BlueRidgeDog | 5 comments »

Drawers fit, shelves cut and arc applied. I managed to introduce a very slight bow in the front (not noticeable nor something I will worry about – more of a mathematical issue). It DID put the drawer slides at a very slight angle that made fitting the drawers a real challenge. But done. I made some shims for the slides and planed them until things were right. Amazing what two degrees will do. Liking where this piece is going, but ready to be done at this point. This stuff has...

Read this entry »


Part 5: First finish coat

06-10-2021 01:55 PM by BlueRidgeDog | 3 comments »

I thought I would share what the gum looks like. I experimented with a few stains to see if it needed a warm up, but in the end I left it natural (I did try four different stains at various dilutions). The wood itself was just to interesting to alter and the lighter portions exhibited soft wood blemishing (light). This is one coat of Armor Seal after a coat of seal-a-cell.

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com