LumberJocks

Bookcase

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by BlueRidgeDog updated 01-04-2020 05:01 PM 6 parts 4049 reads 24 comments total

Part 1: Have to start somewhere.

12-19-2019 04:29 PM by BlueRidgeDog | 8 comments »

A friend with very different aesthetics than me wanted a bookcase, so a rough plan was drawn up. I an not a fan, but she loves it and it is not my usual Arts and Crafts look: What the case lacks in design, it makes up for with some marquetry work. Sapele was picked up at the local lumber yard as they had a good amount on hand: Milled and rough cut, it has some fantastic grain: The pattern was laid out: Inlay installed and the panel scrapped: I am thinkin...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Only Joint I know

12-20-2019 04:38 PM by BlueRidgeDog | 3 comments »

With the inlay done and the top and bottom cut to finished length, the next step is to join the two. I really only know one joint and that is a dove tail. I laid out some tight pins at 11 degrees: For me the key to a great dovetail is a perfect tail (no snickering). If you get them perfectly at a right angle to the face, the joint is likely to work. For this reason I use either a band saw or table saw for the cut. In this case I did the cut with the table saw: This was ...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Setbacks and Progress

12-21-2019 09:35 PM by BlueRidgeDog | 4 comments »

I was trying to get this done before company came for Christmas, but alas I am running out of time. The finish application will make the house, aka shop with bedrooms above, smell off for the gathering, so I have missed my window. This is a large item and I used corner squares for the glue up: The glue up was brutal, but that was my fault as something this size needs much more play in the joint than I gave it. I cheated though and seated one end and clamped it without glue, then g...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Bottom Moulding and Legs

12-25-2019 09:59 PM by BlueRidgeDog | 3 comments »

Leaving aside the question of to fix a shelf or not for now, I moved on to the base moulding and legs. Stock was milled to stack up to leg thickness and to form the base moulding. I was out of Sapele at this point and had to go with Walnut. That is okay as the original plan implied a different wood for the base: This three of these went to the moulding pile and three were glued: The resulting wood was again milled and cut to leg length, then a dowel was inserted on center. ...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Ready for finish-ish.

01-01-2020 05:56 PM by BlueRidgeDog | 2 comments »

Had a setback with the bookcase. It was on the bench, precariously balanced and was knocked over when moving some items out of storage for my kid’s new place. My fault, but it had not been finished, so no worries. Two glue joints busted and one stiffener split. The stiffeners had not been doweled in yet. So the busted bits were repaired and I moved on to doweling in the stiffeners and the one fixed shelf. I had to hold the stiffener back in line, but it worked fine. The...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Done

01-04-2020 05:01 PM by BlueRidgeDog | 4 comments »

Four coats of Osmo with 0000 wool after coat three. Finish turned out stunning. The grain glitters gold. The shelves got a notch to keep them stable on the pegs. The feet were leveled (only six cycles of test, plane repeat). I think I ended up taking a 32nd off one and a 1/16 off of another foot. Not bad. Will level it again when I deliver it. All in all a fun project and though not my taste, happy with the result.

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com