LumberJocks

TV Stand #3: Glue Up and the Top from heck

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by BlueRidgeDog posted 12-20-2020 09:42 PM 400 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Dry Fit Part 3 of TV Stand series Part 4: Done except for install »

So I glued up the carcass. It was uneventful. Before glue up I cut holes in the back for wires and punched the mounting holes for the glass shelf holders. I then machined out some wood for the top and cut alignment biscuits in the boards for the glue up.

I used hide glue as I find that is a great fit with dominoes.

I must have had something on the bench that threw my biscuit cutter out of level as when the top came together it was very misaligned.

I quickly took it out of the clamps and ripped out the biscuits, then clamped it up without them and leveled the boards as best as I could (If I was not using biscuits I would have had flattening cauls ready, but alas). I am certain each of you has been at that point where something is just off the rails and just ran with it and figured you could deal with it in “post production”.

Anyway the top came out with some serious issues that required a scrub plane then on to the entire arsenal.

I got it flat, but all that plane work cause some minor tear out. I also had a few knots and s few punky spots, so I filled the tear out/knots/punk with epoxy. I still need to plane the edges, so ignore how raw they are. I “think” the top will be salvageable.

I then test fit one of two glass shelves to make certain I had not make a giant mistake…but they fit perfectly.

It will turn out fine, but my arms will feel it in the morning.



2 comments so far

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

4618 posts in 3505 days


#1 posted 12-21-2020 03:32 PM

That is quite a nice bookmatch on the end.

I use the same approach with biscuits when glueing up tops. Occasionally, I get some high/low issues that seem to stem from slight twists or bows in the boards, or maybe an odd thickness difference. I also recall not getting the biscuit jointer opened up all the way resulting in some odd slots that didn’t match up.

-- Earl "I'm a pessamist - generally that increases the chance that things will turn out better than expected"

View Elledge's profile

Elledge

7 posts in 246 days


#2 posted 12-25-2020 07:25 PM

Looking good! I like the legs on here!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com